Error: filename.ods does not exist

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
bramisch

Error: filename.ods does not exist

Post by bramisch »

The other day I tried to save a spreadsheet that I use daily and got the error message "...filename.ods does not exist". I closed the window and tried to open the file and keep getting the same error. I can see the file in the recent files list, but can't find it anywhere on my hard drive. There was an external drive attached but I can't find it there either. I also checked the trashcan, nothing. All of my other OO files seem to be there, only this one (which is the only one I need!) is missing.

Is it gone for good or is there any way to recover this file?!?

I've searched quite a bit online for a solution and found others with the same problem but nothing too helpful in terms of recovery. Hoping someone can help! Thanks!

:crazy:
Open Office 4.1.2 on MacOS 10.11.1
RusselB

Re: Error: filename.ods does not exist

Post by RusselB »

Not being a Mac user, I Googled "data recovery mac free" (without the quotes) and got This list
The Recent Files list is an internal tracking of the most recently used Open Office files. If, for some reason, you deleted a file from your hard drive , the Recent Files List will still have that file listed, until enough files have been opened that the entry gets bumped off of the list.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
bramisch

Post by bramisch »

Thank you. What's weird is I was saving the file when the error first appeared :/

Anyway, trying one of these recovery applications now. I'd looked at another one earlier but it was too confusing for me, using the command prompt. Fingers crossed.
Open Office 4.1.2 on MacOS 10.11.1
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

bramisch wrote:The other day I tried to save a spreadsheet that I use daily and got the error message "...filename.ods does not exist". I closed the window and tried to open the file and keep getting the same error. I can see the file in the recent files list, but can't find it anywhere on my hard drive.
My guess is that while you had the file open Calc, it was deleted by Mac OS X, either directly or because deletion was requested by other software you're using. When you try to save the file, Calc can't find it to perform the save so "File does not exist". It's still in the Recent Files list, since Calc doesn't know it was deleted, so if you try to open the file from the list, "File does not exist". You have a Mac OS X issue, not an OpenOffice or Calc problem. OpenOffice and/or Calc never deletes files; it only creates them.

Why did Mac OS X delete the file? How would I know? It's possible to switch to Finder and delete it there while it's open in Calc. If the computer is connected to a network, someone with the appropriate logon credentials for an account on your machine can delete it remotely. Perhaps file-sync software you're using thinks it should be moved elsewhere. There could be dozens of reasons. If you enabled Time Machine (see Apple's documentation), that may have a copy. Use Finder or Spotlight (see Apple's documentation) to look for the file. See [Tutorial] Mac FAQ, Q23/A23 and Q24/A24. Try a long click on the OpenOffice icon in the dock to see a different list of recent files. That list is maintainted by Mac OS X and perhaps will contain the document you're having trouble finding.

Older versions of Mac OS X and/or OpenOffice sometimes had trouble locating files with unusual characters in the name, say Filë.ods (umlaut over the "e") but the software you're running seems up-to-date.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).