Files do not open correctly

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
hoosiers83

Files do not open correctly

Post by hoosiers83 »

When I download a file or document it shows in the list but I get the ACS message and it opens with all messy text. Is there something to do to connect or convert? It seems it doesn't recognize Open Office to save the file. I am very ignorant on computer stuff so bear with me. Just want to be able to save a document from email or wherever and be able to open it, print, and forward
Open office 4.1.3 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Files do not open correctly

Post by FJCC »

Please provide more details of what you are doing. What kind of document are you trying to open? That is, what are the last letters in the document name after the dot? Are they .odt, .doc or something else? What is an ACS message? What is happening that causes you to say " it doesn't recognize Open Office to save the file"?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think the ACS message should be the ASCII message.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hoosiers83

Post by hoosiers83 »

Here is example; I get a file sent to me via email I open and save. It shows it is saved. I try to open it and get the ACSII message. I hit ok and it opens with all the unreadable mess. this also happens when I save a document from other sources.
Open office 4.1.3 Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

What kind of document are you trying to open? That is, what are the last letters in the document name after the dot? Are they .odt, .doc or something else?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try the attached
Attachments
Pride and Prejudice chap 1.odt
(17.16 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Lesley_Vos

Post by Lesley_Vos »

I had the same problem when tried to open .odt docs on my computer where ms office was installed. as my sys admin explained, i had to sync all formats to avoid this problem. not sure, if this info helps you... but anyway :shock:
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 8