Automatically turns docs to read-only

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
brad.smith

Automatically turns docs to read-only

Post by brad.smith »

Lately my Open Office text docs have been turning into read-only docs when I close and reopen them later without any intention to make them read-only. This is clogging up my files with extra copies I have to make to continue editing my docs. How do I stop this from happening?
Brad Smith Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Automatically turns docs to read-only

Post by RusselB »

This is, sometimes, caused by Open Office not completing it's housekeeping chores when you close down the program (usually due to a power down or computer going into hibernation mode).
You can check this by looking in the main documents directory for files with $lock on them. They will be small files and don't really contain any information. They are simply used by Open Office to prevent the same file from being edited from multiple locations at the same time.
The easiest way to keep this from happening, is to use File -> Close (you will be prompted if the file needs to be saved), then gather up your paper work, maybe grab a drink (or smoke, if you smoke), then use File -> Exit to get out of the program.
If you are using a laptop, be cautious if the power level is getting low, as laptops will shut down when there is insufficient power and without giving you any warning.
Also, for a laptop, don't simply close the lid, as that also reduces the power consumption, and is a known cause for this (and other related) problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
brad.smith

Post by brad.smith »

Thanks, RusselB! That should explain it. I use a laptop and like to leave my docs open and close the lid to go into hibernation quicker when I want to come back a few hours later without shutting down. Would it be better If I just leave the lid open so it goes into hibernation when it is ready on its own? I usually have it connected to the power cord and just hibernate so as to save electricity.

And if I need to close the lid to transport my laptop and don't want to shut down, do I need to close my docs before I do so in order to prevent this from happening? Or is there a way to keep the docs open so I don't have to reopen them but be able to close the lid with no rigamarole?
Brad Smith Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

What happens when you open the file? Any message?
What happens when you click the edit button on the main toolbar near the print and pdf buttons? Any message?
What happens when you edit and save the file? Any message or save-as dialog?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I don't normally work on a laptop, but advise strongly against leaving OO documents open and hibernating a laptop. We get many cases on Forum of documents being lost after such a process. The little time you may save will be consumed by the time taken to recover (if possible) and rebuild a damaged document. Indeed, I don't recommend leaving a document open and unattended on a computer for a extended period - all right to take short phone call (Ctrl S before taking the call, to Save current document), but if absent for lunch, close the file.

But it's your document, and you that will have the trauma of a rewrite or repair.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS