'The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened'

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
elliepants

'The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened'

Post by elliepants »

Why am I receiving this error message? I am unable to open approximately 40 documents saved with a password. I didn't make any changes to the password/preferences, so I'm confused about why this is happening. Can someone please help? Thank you.
OpenOffice on macOS Sierra 10.12.6
RusselB

Re: 'The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened'

Post by RusselB »

See Q08/A08 in the [Tutorial]Mac FAQ
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Sea Mac

Post by Sea Mac »

elliepants wrote:Why am I receiving this error message? I am unable to open approximately 40 documents saved with a password. I didn't make any changes to the password/preferences, so I'm confused about why this is happening. Can someone please help? Thank you.
I know of a SURE workaround for "The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened."
Simply switch to LibreOffice ... that's what I did ... problem solved: the password works again.
This problem has been in the OpenOffice codebase for over a DECADE - affecting ANY password protected file type - and the developers are powerless to find and fix it.
If you don't believe me - search the forum for

The password is incorrect

for yourself, and you'll see most of them conclude "LibreOffice Worked!!!"
This problem was why I switched to LibreOffice 4 years ago ... as I found no help here.
LibreOffice 6.1.2 with MacOS 10.9.5
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

This problem was why I switched to LibreOffice 4 years ago ... as I found no help here.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 with MacOS 10.9
Then please update your signature in this forum.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sea Mac wrote:This problem was why I switched to LibreOffice 4 years ago ... as I found no help here.
Did you report it as a bug, with an example file which failed with AOO but worked with LO? I searched but could not find any bug report

You didn't? In that case how do you expect it to be fixed? The developers are not mind readers - they rely on users reporting problems. If no problems get reported nothing gets fixed.

Please create a bug report here and include a file which does not open with AOO but does open with LO.

If you cannot be bothered then please at least upload an example file so that I can create a bug report.

Incidentally I assume you are talking about .odt files created by AOO and not .doc. or .docx files created by MS Word.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.