'The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened'

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

'The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened'

Postby elliepants » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:18 am

Why am I receiving this error message? I am unable to open approximately 40 documents saved with a password. I didn't make any changes to the password/preferences, so I'm confused about why this is happening. Can someone please help? Thank you.
OpenOffice on macOS Sierra 10.12.6
elliepants

Re: 'The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened'

Postby RusselB » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:12 am

See Q08/A08 in the [Tutorial]Mac FAQ
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby John_Ha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 pm

AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Sea Mac » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:15 am

elliepants wrote:Why am I receiving this error message? I am unable to open approximately 40 documents saved with a password. I didn't make any changes to the password/preferences, so I'm confused about why this is happening. Can someone please help? Thank you.

I know of a SURE workaround for "The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened."
Simply switch to LibreOffice ... that's what I did ... problem solved: the password works again.
This problem has been in the OpenOffice codebase for over a DECADE - affecting ANY password protected file type - and the developers are powerless to find and fix it.
If you don't believe me - search the forum for

The password is incorrect

for yourself, and you'll see most of them conclude "LibreOffice Worked!!!"
This problem was why I switched to LibreOffice 4 years ago ... as I found no help here.
LibreOffice 6.1.2 with MacOS 10.9.5
Sea Mac

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:46 am

This problem was why I switched to LibreOffice 4 years ago ... as I found no help here.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 with MacOS 10.9

Then please update your signature in this forum.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.5; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 am

Sea Mac wrote:This problem was why I switched to LibreOffice 4 years ago ... as I found no help here.

Did you report it as a bug, with an example file which failed with AOO but worked with LO? I searched but could not find any bug report

You didn't? In that case how do you expect it to be fixed? The developers are not mind readers - they rely on users reporting problems. If no problems get reported nothing gets fixed.

Please create a bug report here and include a file which does not open with AOO but does open with LO.

If you cannot be bothered then please at least upload an example file so that I can create a bug report.

Incidentally I assume you are talking about .odt files created by AOO and not .doc. or .docx files created by MS Word.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting