Using OpenOffice in a application

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
andrewsvaz

Using OpenOffice in a application

Post by andrewsvaz »

Hello all,

As I am new to Open office, I don't know where to post about this. The problem is that I have some clients that use my applications and they are asking (IOW almost demanding) for my app to be able to produce and save text files (directly to the database and to disk). Some are even asking for integration with M$ Office.

So I am going for a integration with Open Office and using the ODF format.

I am certain that someone has already done something like it. Where can I find the doumentation on this? (Also, I work with Delphi).

Thanks for all the help.
Andrew
Learning Open Office 4.1.3 and going further!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Using OpenOffice in a application

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

What you want to do is possible because AOO provides interfaces to allow what you want. Be aware that you will never get full 100% compatibility between AOO and MS Word - see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for the reasons and some of the problems and workarounds. If you limit users to a common subset you will get excellent compatibility. [As an aside, if you wrote code to examine the XML in .docx files, you could flag up any .docx file which used XML tags which AOO does not recognise and tell the users there will be a problem with this file - this is better than information just being omitted with warning the user. This is virtually impossible to do with .doc files as they are binary memory dumps.]

To start, see The Apache OpenOffice Wiki and the User Manuals. Thoroughly search the openoffice.org web site - eg The Apache OpenOffice Documentation Project

See the Paid Support forum here where you can ask for assistance.

Google for companies which provide services to implement AOO.

You will probably be using macros so see Andrew Pitonyak's definitive and invaluable OpenOffice.org Macro Information. See Customizing and Extending
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
andrewsvaz

Re: Using OpenOffice in a application

Post by andrewsvaz »

It's a start.

Thanks a bunch.
Learning Open Office 4.1.3 and going further!