Files locked by unknown user

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Re: Files locked by unknown user

Postby Bill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:15 pm

@maharg: You need to be asking questions about Windows 10 on a Windows 10 forum. I've never changed the email address for my Windows 10 account and would have to research how to do it. As a guess I'd say that the "Add" button would allow you to add a new account, not edit your existing account.
AOO 4.1.5 on 64-bit Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux
Bill
Volunteer

Postby maharg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Bill wrote:@maharg: You need to be asking questions about Windows 10 on a Windows 10 forum. I've never changed the email address for my Windows 10 account and would have to research how to do it. As a guess I'd say that the "Add" button would allow you to add a new account, not edit your existing account.

Hi Bill, I'm rather confused now. Is the AOO Security tab info, ie my old address, controlled by Windows?
What would happen if I closed my current AOO account and registered a new one?
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
maharg

Postby Bill » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:22 am

Every file on your computer has a Security tab controlled by Windows. There are no accounts for the AOO program.
AOO 4.1.5 on 64-bit Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux
Bill
Volunteer

Postby maharg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi Bill,
Yesterday I received a major Update from Windows/Microsoft. Today when I went into AOO expecting the usual locked problems there weren't any. All the files opened properly with nothing marked 'file in use' 'Read only'. Maybe there was a glitch the update sorted.
Anyway I'm a very happy man now.
Thanks for all your advice.
Graham
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
maharg

Postby martinbean » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:18 pm

I also had the Windows major update, but nothing has changed with my OO "locked by unknown user" problem. I am just living with it, it appeared without my doing anything, maybe it will disappear one day in the same way ! It must be personal to my PC otherwise a lot more Windows 10/OO users would be reporting the problem.
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 10
martinbean

Postby teawren » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Looking for help with this. Everything was fine yesterday and now today every single file cannot be opened by OO with the dreaded document file XXX is locked for editing by unknown user. Even files I haven't looked at in months is locked.
I can open as read only, then try to "save as" with an amended file name and am told that I don't have permission to save.
What the heck is going on?
OpenOffice 4.1.4, Windows 10
teawren

Postby RoryOF » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:41 am

Enable viewing of hidden files, then with OpenOffice closed, open the OpenOffice User profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter.
Beside the "user" folder you may see a lock file. Delete this and start OpenOffice

Check also that you have read/write permissions in the directories in which your files live. If you do not have these permissions, add them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.03 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Previous

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting