Josie Font

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Sherylh

Josie Font

Post by Sherylh »

I finally got around to updating to the current version and am sad to see that Josie Font has been removed from the program. Our business logo uses this font and now when I open it up it reverts to a different font. I have search the web to find this font and am unable o find it.
Need some guidance as to what to do at this point.
Thanks
Openoffice 4.1.3
RusselB

Re: Josie Font

Post by RusselB »

Open Office uses the fonts that are installed on your system.
If the font you are wanting isn't showing on your system, I'm doubting (though I won't say for sure) that the process of updating Open Office removed it.
That aside, a quick Google search for "Josie Font" (without the quotes) returned 37,900,000 hits. The hit url is https://www.google.ca/search?q=Josie+Fo ... e&ie=UTF-8
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Sherylh

Post by Sherylh »

I am baffled as to why this has happened. Nothing changed in my computer.
I appreciate the effort on the google search. I have been searching for the exact one all day and have come up empty.
I believe I have found an alternative that is very similar.
Openoffice 4.1.3
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

See if the font is still on your computer:

1) Assuming you are using Windows 7 or 8 (other versions may be similar) - https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... eview.html
2) Does the show up in the font list in other programs?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Sherylh

Post by Sherylh »

I have checked my character map.
This font is gone.
Openoffice 4.1.3
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Josie Font has been removed from the program.
The Yosie font never was a part of the Apache OpenOffice or the LibreOffice installation pack.

Our business logo uses this font and now when I open it up it reverts to a different font.
If you use that font on more than one computer, then you can get a copy of the *.ttf file from an another computer.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The [url=hhttp://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/testfonts]TestFonts[/url] add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display

Does anyone know why it does this, at least without a warning?

BTW, do other WPs do the same?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

jrkrideau wrote:Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display

Does anyone know why it does this, at least without a warning?

BTW, do other WPs do the same?
I assume it is because

1 That is the font in the .odt file
2 The author assumes that a used font will be available on the PC - or (s)he would not have used it

I think a better question would be "Could the font being asked for be highlighted in some way (with a different background colour?) if it is not available". I think some applications do signify if it is not available - perhaps even LO.

And, when asking that question can we also ask the similar "How can I show items which have been manually formatted so they are no longer as their style is suggesting".

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
acknak

Post by acknak »

jrkrideau wrote:... the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display

Does anyone know why it does this, at least without a warning? ...
You can find out the status by opening the Format > Character > Font dialog window. The status of the font at the cursor will appear in the of the dialog window, as a text message just above the formatting preview area.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

acknak

Very interesting. It means that the information needed to create a visible display that the called font is not present on the PC is already available. It should therefore be a trivial enhancement to do something like:

IF "variable being used to check font availability" = NOT_AVAILABLE
THEN Display "FONT_NOT_AVAILABLE"

It could probably be done as a simple macro or add-on.