[Solved] Editing and saving existing AOO files in Dropbox

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
nattours

[Solved] Editing and saving existing AOO files in Dropbox

Post by nattours »

Hello,

I have been using Open Office for many years, and Dropbox for fewer years, but both worked together without issue. Unsure if mine is an AOO or a Dropbox issue.

My old laptop died, and I installed AOO on the new one. Found Dropbox files in the cloud with no problem, but I'm unable to edit them without first downloading. I guess I can upload the modified files to the cloud, but thus-far, I'm just saving locally. Seems a very roundabout way of doing something simple.

Having searched for solutions, I see that there is a tie-in between Dropbox and MS Office--this doesn't help me. Not interested in mobile devices either--just on my computer.

TIA!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Editing and saving existing AOO files in Dropbox

Post by RusselB »

The easiest way to handle working with using Dropbox with AOO (which I've done for years), is to ensure that the Dropbox installation on your computer is synced, and use that access (usually a directory reference like C:\Users\<name>\Dropbox) rather than trying to access the files directly via the web access (ie: dropbox.com)
Once your files/installation on your computer is synced with the files online (which happens automatically unless you've disabled the auto-sync),, you should be good to go.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
nattours

Re: Editing and saving existing AOO files in Dropbox

Post by nattours »

Thanks so much RusselB.

My old laptop died and I had to replace. 'Rebuilding it' seemed so easy--when I Googled Dropbox, and MY page came up, I thought it was on my computer--so I never downloaded the program. Turns out I was viewing the cloud copy. Have now downloaded, and it seems to be fine. Thanks again for your kind assistance!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10