Periodically opens as if I haven't opened it before

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
hapf

Periodically opens as if I haven't opened it before

Post by hapf »

Periodically when I open, it brings me through the start up page, asking for name, address, etc. It is not because it is an updated version of open office. Then all of my declared default settings are gone, such as font, ruler that I use,speller, etc. Is this unusual? Any fixes? It is frustrating.
open office 4.1.3
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: periodically opens as if I haven't opened it before

Post by RoryOF »

You are powering off your computer before the OpenOffice housekeeping has been written to disk. Wait a few seconds extra until all disk activity has finished and the HDD internal buffers have flushed before powering off or hibernating your computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

What is happening is that your User Profile is being damaged.

The User Profile is updated well after the blue dotted line has finished crossing the screen showing the file is being saved.

For example, the user profile keeps the list of recently opened files and user settings, and writing it can take several seconds, or longer if you are on a network. Powering off or slamming the laptop lid closed while this is taking place is asking for trouble.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A thought. You mentioned it has happened a number of times. Now that you know it is caused by corruption of the User Profile, which is written after Writer has finished saving the file, could you please let us know what you think you were doing which might have been causing the problem.

Were you powering off quickly? or shutting the laptop lid quickly? or did you save a file and then suddenly remember something and try to re-open it while the User Profile was being written? or was Writer hanging or crashing? or was the PC hanging or crashing? or does anything else come to mind?

We are trying to work out exactly how it happens and you assistance will be very helpful.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
hapf

Post by hapf »

in all likelihood I was probably shutting down to quickly. on rare occassions I have done the later and maybe recently. Neither writer nor windows/pc was hanging. Will be more conscience about shutting down and letting you know if there is something else.
open office 4.1.3
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Periodically opens as if I haven't opened it before

Post by John_Ha »

Thank you.

When you shut down, how do you do it? Do you shut down and power off? or hibernate the PC? or sleep the PC? You can check by Start > Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do ... My image below does not have what to do when you shut the lid on a laptop as I have a desktop.

I am particularly interested in knowing whether you

1. power off completely, or
2. hibernate, or
3. sleep.

Are you using a laptop and closing the lid? If so, what has Close the lid been set to - power off completely, hibernate or sleep?

Some of my testing shows a different behaviour between the different methods and development are looking at the problem now so your input will be valuable.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png