[Solved-Workaround] Export to pdf no longer embedding fonts

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Vreejack

[Solved-Workaround] Export to pdf no longer embedding fonts

Post by Vreejack »

I'm not sure when this happened but sometime since June of last year the "export to pdf" function stopped embedding fonts.

I remember having trouble with it last year until I got the settings right so I'll review them here:
General->PDF/A-1a... and I don't think anything else is important.

Using the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC. PDF's from last year seem fine, it's only trying to recreate them now that I am having trouble.

I can print to PDF and that will embed fonts as necessary but I want to keep the hypertext links.

lets attach a couple of demo files
Attachments
Untitled 1a.pdf
(9.63 KiB) Downloaded 1206 times
Untitled 1.odt
(21.98 KiB) Downloaded 1103 times
Last edited by Vreejack on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Export to pdf no longer embedding fonts

Post by RoryOF »

Try deleting or renaming your OpenOffice User Profile.

As you are using Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Delete or Rename the "user" folder (user.old is a good name). Start OpenOffice.

This may cure the problem; it at least gives a known starting point for fault finding.
 Edit: Would you also try an Export as PDF using Arial or Times New Roman. It may be that Sitka text (the font you used) has a glitch that stops Export as PDF embedding it. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

That did not help. It asked me for my name and initials, etc., but it didn't help with the font embedding.
I had already tried other fonts: TNR, etc. Nothing is embedding. I reduced this example to one font for simplicity. Tried a new doc with the new profile and typed "This is a test." in TNR and tried to export it. No good.

Something has happened since last June 2016, either in Win10 or OO (or something specific to my system) that is preventing the pdf converter from embedding the fonts. Perhaps it cannot find them?

edit: earlier I tried repairing the OO install and I ran a system integrity check with no problems found.

more edit: The Pooh's birthday is August 21st, you heathen.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Vreejack wrote:more edit: The Pooh's birthday is August 21st, you heathen.
The date depends on the interpretataion given to "The Pooh".
• 24 Aug 1914: In Winnepeg, Harry Colebourn finds an orphaned bear cub later taken to London zoo and named "Winnie"
• 21 Aug 1921: Milne gives Christopher Robin a stuffed bear from Harrods in London which was named based on the zoo's bear†
• 14 Oct 1926: Publication date of Milne's book "Winnie-the-Pooh"

†Christopher Robin originally called the toy Edward (proper form of Teddy) Bear. Teddy Bears (named for Theodore Roosevent) were popular in the early years of the 20th century.

25 years ago I met a woman here in Wisconsin named Cherie Milne. Jokingly I asked if she was related to A. A., and was surprised when she replied that she was his great-granddaughter. I purchased a set of A. A. Milne's books, had Cherie autograph them, and presented the set to my nieces.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

OT: Export to pdf no longer embedding fonts

Post by RoryOF »

MrProgrammer wrote:Christopher Robin originally called the toy Edward (proper form of Teddy) Bear. Teddy Bears (named for Theodore Roosevelt) were popular in the early years of the 20th century.
My bear, known to his friends as "Bear", will be 100 on 27th February 2018. He was bought by my grandfather on his hearing of my father's birth in 1918. I'm planning a big bash to celebrate.

Teddy bears are still popular - everybody should have at least one.

I adhere to the BBC's assessment of Pooh's birthday, but when one is his age the actual count is a mere detail.
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

I assume that Christopher Robin celebrated Pooh's birthday on the same day that he celebrated his own, since it was a birthday gift.

edit: anyway... anyone have any more suggestions for my embedding problem?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I would remove OpenOffice completely using (say) Revo Uninstaller at its most aggressive. I would also rename the OO User profile (again!). Then I would reboot the computer and install OO once again. If that doesn't work I have no further suggestions (I only, and very rarely, use an old version of Windows for accessing legacy files with their generating applications).
 Edit: If this is due to some Win10 upgrade, uninstalling the upgrade that occurred just before this problem manifested itself might be an option. It would need someone affected by this, with more knowledge of Wi10 than I have, to track down the file responsible. 
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

I will try your desperate suggestion, but I noticed that a few people have posted about font embedding without seeming to solve this problem. Perhaps they gave up, which is not an option for me as I have thousands of heavily formatted pages to deal with. I will post either way.
edit: there have been a lot of win10 upgrades in the past year. Investigating which one would be very painful. And the number of people with similar problems would be large.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There were some reports (circa 2015) of Win10 upgrades affecting PDF functions. These were cured by various methods such as (re)installing various components. Google for "Win10 PDF dll".
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

None of that worked. I even tried LO, to no avail. Not sure where to look now.
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

Is it possible that it is not even a font problem? When I search for words that I know to be in these pdf's it does NOT find them. Although the overall layout looks correct.
edit: added "NOT"
Last edited by Vreejack on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The fonts are softwares. Maybe they are free, opencource or commercial products - with various licences.

From the License of the Sitka font family:
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
MICROSOFT FLUENT FONTS

4. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. Installation and Use. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices.
b. No Distribution Rights. This agreement does not grant you a license to distribute nor sublicense all or part of the software to any third party.
You will find the license in the zipped pack:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=50721

It means (i think/maybe) you are not allowed to embed it into a pdf file. I know it, the Fluent Sitka Fonts are not same as Sitka Text and Sitka Small, but I can not found any working download page or license for your fonts. I found only the information: the Sitka Text _is_ a commercial font, too:
https://new.whatfontis.com/Sitka-Text.font

Have you tried to embed a really freely distributable font with your AOO suite as Rory wrote?
Edit: Would you also try an Export as PDF using Arial or Times New Roman. It may be that Sitka text (the font you used) has a glitch that stops Export as PDF embedding it.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

There is nothing wrong with the fonts, per se. I was able to embed these fonts last year and they are standard Windows fonts. Especially the Times New Roman. I can also embed them using "Print to PDF". It is only the export function that fails.

In any event if you find a font that cannot be embedded you should probably delete it; it is mostly useless.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Vreejack wrote:I can also embed them using "Print to PDF". It is only the export function that fails.
What do you mean by "Print to PDF"?

Are you saying that you are using a PDF Virtual printer like PrimoPDF which is accessed by File > Print > choose the PDF printer > "print" ie create a PDF ..., and the PDF Virtual Printer embeds the font?

But that if you go File > Export as PDF ..., or click the PDF icon on the toolbar, AOO does not embed the font in the PDF file?

Don't forget that some applications (most older ones) come with fonts included, which they write in the Fonts folder when you install them. These fonts are not removed when you un-install the program so you can have more than one, say, TNR font. The link I pointed you to includes:
For example, Corel software such as Draw and WordPerfect used to install vast numbers of non-embeddable fonts on its host computer. Even if WordPerfect was later uninstalled the fonts remain, usable (but not embeddable) by any program. Corel does offer replacement embeddable versions free of charge.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

Using the "Microsoft print to PDF" that I believe comes with Windows10. It embeds correct fonts but appears to obfuscate their names--all appear to be "CIDFont+F#". In any event it works.

Another oddity is that LibreOffice complains every time I open it that it crashed last run. Unless I open it in safe mode--then it shuts down correctly. I only just installed it and have not modified it at all.
edit: probably because I got the bleeding edge build.

edit: something else. When I search for text that is supposed to be there shouldn't it highlit in the pdf even if the characters do not render properly? The word "test" cannot be found in a document that is just "this is a test" written over and over.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Vreejack wrote:Using the "Microsoft print to PDF" that I believe comes with Windows10. It embeds correct fonts but appears to obfuscate their names--all appear to be "CIDFont+F#". In any event it works.
That sounds like the requested font - presumably TNR - is not available, or is prevented from being embedded, so the Microsoft print to PDF application is substituting an alternative font. Try Googling CIDFont - it gets lots of hits.

Go to C:\Windows\. Copy the folder Fonts and paste it onto the desktop. Open it. My W7 Times New Roman fonts are as shown below. What are yours?
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (4.18 KiB) Viewed 24664 times
See the attached files where the PDF was created by File > Export to PDF. Open the PDF and go File > Properties > Fonts ..., and all four fonts are embedded.

What happens when you create a PDF from test fonts.odt? You probably don't have Baskerville Old Face installed - use the Test Fonts add-on to check. Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop down selection box is the font the document is asking for - it is NOT necessarily the font being used to create the display. This is because if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The [url=hhttp://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/testfonts]TestFonts[/url] add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
Attachments
font test.pdf
PDF from file
(88.51 KiB) Downloaded 1025 times
font test.odt
File with TNR, Courier New, Calibri and Baskerville Old Face fonts
(13.2 KiB) Downloaded 1041 times

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I tried your .odt, John, and it opened using Times New Roman, Courier New and Calibri, which are on my computer; Baskerville was substituted (as it should be in the case of a missing font). I was able to make a PDF. and also to open your PDF, which displayed the embedded Baskerville.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

There is another point.

We have had several "font problems with PDF files" in the last few weeks and I'm pretty sure all have been W10 - search with PDF font embed. Methinks Microsoft has goofed (yet) again ...

jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

MrProgrammer wrote: • 24 Aug 1914: In Winnepeg, Harry Colebourn finds an orphaned bear cub later taken to London zoo and named "Winnie".
I'd question Winnipeg. IIRC, he adopted the bear in White River, Ontario during a stop on the way east to Québec or Halifax for embarkation.

My uncle, when writing to my grandmother from Southampton, mentions the bear cub but I don't know if he meet her in person.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

CIDFont+F# is a dynamicaly generated name that the PDF printer generates to obfuscates your fonts. Whatever fonts you use get listed as CIDFont+F1, CIDFont+F2, etc., in consecutive order.

I have four TNR fonts, the standard, bold, italic and bold-italic. Slightly larger that your Win7 versions and copyright 2016.

I loaded "font test" into LO. The missing font name showed up in italics in the font selection bar, so I knew I did not have it. Of course, when I exported it to PDF everthing went whack. The results are interesting, though. Perhaps someone can make something out what it shows.
Attachments
font test.pdf
(16.27 KiB) Downloaded 1024 times
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you open that PDF file with a hex editor, you will find the following

Code: Select all

% CreateFontSubset failed for font "Times New Roman" weight=5
% CreateFontSubset failed for font "Courier New" weight=5
% CreateFontSubset failed for font "Calibri" weight=5
And of course no fonts are shown in the PDF document properties.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

OT: Export to pdf no longer embedding fonts

Post by RoryOF »

The V&A museum in London has just announced an exhibition exploring the collaboration between EH Shepard, illustrator of Pooh, and AA Milne. This will run 09 December 2017 to 08 April 2018, Fuller details are at
https://www.vam.ac.uk/info/museum-highlights-2018
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Are you using AOO, as your signature says; or LO, as in your last comment?

2. Create a new user on your PC. Install AOO for that user only. Does it now work?

Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

It works for a test account.

What does this mean? Can my account be fixed?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If it works for a test account, it almost certainly should be cured by deleting or renaming your existing OO user profile.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Vreejack wrote:It works for a test account.
Very interesting. It means that it is not a problem with the AOO software, and not a problem with your fonts.

It is therefore almost certainly a problem with your profile. Get a new profile by:

1 Stop AOO and the quickstarter if you use it
2 Rename C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user_old
3 Start AOO

This builds a new C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user.

Please confirm if creating a new profile fixes it so we can offer that as a solution to other users.

Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

We tried deleting the profile before. It's still not working.

edit: Anything worth comparing in the two profiles? Otherwise the only thing that could be different is file permissions, I think.
Last edited by Vreejack on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To confirm: when you deleted the profile on next startup of OO were you prompted for your name and Initials?
Vreejack

Post by Vreejack »

Oh yes, every time.