Save location

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
RealM

Save location

Post by RealM »

Hello,
I'm a little puzzled. We are migrating from a MS Office environment to OpenOffice. So far, everything seem to work according to plan, with one exception that one of our user has mentioned, the saving location. From what I can see, when saving a document, it defaults to the last place a document was saved, instead of where the document was opened from. For example, say I open a document from c:\path1, and save it back at the same location, then, I open a document from c:\path2, when I hit save, it defaults to path1, which is the last place I saved a document. Is there any way to adjust that behavior?

thank you,
OpenOffice4 on Windows 10 Pro
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Save location

Post by Zizi64 »

- What document (file) formats are you using? ODF document and template formats, or MS binary and OOXML file formats?
- Have you filled-in the User data in the Settings?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RealM

Post by RealM »

thanks for the quick response Zizi.

-From what the end users are telling me, they are working with MS Word documents (docx)
-I haven't changed any settings, so whatever the defaults are. I'm not sure what the user data would have to do with the file saving location by looking at that screen.

That being said, I have been doing more tests since I posted my original message, and I am having a difficult time getting some consistency. The computer where this situation is happening is only has Open Office installed on it. (It's a brand new OS install, with OO and very few other programs on it. If I try and replicate the situation on that computer, it seems to happen mostly with MS Word documents. I open the document, make some changes, hit Ctrl-S and it tries to save it as a ODF document (as opposed to a docx) in the last location used to save a document (which isn't the one I just opened that doc from). But if I create a new document from OO Writer, and save it in any location, and then open or create another OO document (and not a MS word doc), it seems to work fine. The issue therefore seem to be when working with MS Word documents.

So then, I installed OO on my own computer, which is also a Win10Pro, but I do have Office 2016 installed on this computer. I cannot replicate the problem. When I open MS Word docs with Writer and save them, it remembers the location any of those doc were opened from and prompts me to save it in the same place. Same happens with Writer new documents I just created.

So in short, the issue happens on the computer that never had MS Office installed. And I can replicate that behavior on another computer which is has been formatted and only had OO installed on it.

Any other information I could provide to help figure this out?

thanks again for the help!
OpenOffice4 on Windows 10 Pro
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Look at Tools-->Options-->OpenOffice-->General. Is "Use OpenOffice dialogs" checked? If it is then all documents will be saved to the location specified in Tools-->Options-->OpenOffice-->Paths. If not then the the document will be saved at the last path used to save a document which is the Windows standard.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

-From what the end users are telling me, they are working with MS Word documents (docx)
-I haven't changed any settings, so whatever the defaults are. I'm not sure what the user data would have to do with the file saving location by looking at that screen.
- Always use the native, international standard ODF (.odt, .ods) fileformats. If you need a copy of your file in foreign format, save a copy of the original file to the foreign fileformat at the end of the editing.
Note: The AOO can not save into OOXML (docx, xlsx) fileformat. Try the LibreOffice. It can save into the Strict version of the OOXML fileformat of the Microsoft, and it has a littlebit higher compatibility with the foreign fileformats.

You must adjust some settings as thomasjk wrote. And
- Fill-in the User data in the
Tools - Options - Open/LibreOffice - User data
(Some functions will not work without the user data.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.