[Solved] Help! Read only files.

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ColleenClover

[Solved] Help! Read only files.

Post by ColleenClover »

Hello!
[SOLVED]
The save function is not working. It says I'm in 'read only' mode. Not sure how I am able to add to a read only file, but that's why I am here. I have to 'save as' if I want to save anything added to the existing file, therefore, I have several files now for one body of work with all sorts of different names....some not so nice....Any help will be wonderful!
TIA
Colleen
Last edited by thomasjk on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Open Office 4 Dell Inspiron Laptop with windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Help! Read only files.

Post by Villeroy »

Do a save-as and save the file somewhere in your own home directory.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ColleenClover

Post by ColleenClover »

I have been doing the 'save as' function. It is an ongoing writing project so by the end of the week; I will have every file for every save. I thought I had fixed this, but I haven't yet.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There are several things that can cause files to open read only. What file format are you using? Are the files password protected? Do you have write permission for the files and/or folder where the files are located? Does the file have the Read-Only attribute box checked in the file Properties dialog? Are the files email attachments?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Bill wrote:There are several things that can cause files to open read only. What file format are you using? Are the files password protected? Do you have write permission for the files and/or folder where the files are located? Does the file have the Read-Only attribute box checked in the file Properties dialog? Are the files email attachments?
This is the point where we usually get no further information about what happens, which exact error messages are shown, where files are stored.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
ColleenClover

Post by ColleenClover »

Villeroy, Thank you! The read only box WAS checked! There were a couple other things that were causing other little issues, but the list of things you suggested are good to have on hand should there be further shenanigans!
Thanks again!
C
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

ColleenClover wrote:Villeroy, Thank you! The read only box WAS checked! There were a couple other things that were causing other little issues, but the list of things you suggested are good to have on hand should there be further shenanigans!
Thanks again!
C
Thank you for telling us about cause and solution. OpenOffice never adds this flag to a file. It was some other application which created this file for viewing. When you double-click on an email attachment or when you open a document through a hyperlink in your browser, the file is downloaded to an unspecific location with the read-only flag. If you need to edit such a file, you have to actually download it. Right-click the attachment or hyperlink respectively and choose some command like "save", "download", "detach". You will be prompted for a location and name for the new file. Save it in your own home folder ("My Files" or "My Documents" or "Downloads").
If the file came from another user in the same company network, the network policy may allow you to read other people files. In this case you can copy the file to your own home folder and remove the read-only flag from your own copy of the file.