Comptibility with Lexmark C543 printer

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
0408mike

Comptibility with Lexmark C543 printer

Post by 0408mike »

I have been using Open office 4.1.3 for some time with no problems.
I am on the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview program.
I have just installed Build 16257.
Now, when I try to print from Open Office Writer I get an Open Office 4.1.3 message: ' Could not start printer. please check your printer configuration.'
I have reinstalled the printer and reinstalled Open Office but no change.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 16257.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Comptibility with Lexmark C543 printer

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

Almost certainly a Windows problem and not an AOO problem. Can you print from other applications?

Google the error message open office could not start printer please check your printer configuration and you get lots of hits. Is the Print Spooler Service running?

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
0408mike

Post by 0408mike »

Hi John_Ha,
Thanks for your response.
I agree it is probably a Windows problem but I raised it here in case anyone had managed to resolve it.
Googling the message shows several posts.
All of them are old pre Windows 10 and pre Open Office 4.1.3.
One dated Aug 2017 was actually raised in Jan 2012 and concerns Windows vs Open Office 3.1 compatibility.
However I did look at the Windows Print Spooler, as suggested, and it is Running and set to Automatic.
I have raised the issue with Microsoft Feedback so hopefully it will be resolved with the next Build.
I will update my first post when I have a fix.
Kind regards.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 16257.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes non-working printers with OpenOffice can be solved by reinstalling the printer. What I suggest is that you uninstall the printer using Control Panel. Unplug the printer. Close computer down (using the correct shutdown procedure). Now Restart the computer with the printer plugged in and switched on; Windows should detect the printer and install it.

It is worth checking with the manufacturer's site to get the latest drivers for that printer (i.e., don't assume Windows is using the latest drivers). Such drivers should match the bitness of your Windows.
 Edit: Note that there may also be a firmware update for your printer. If so, I wouldn't install that until all other avenues are exhausted. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

0408mike wrote:I am on the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview program. I have just installed Build 16257.
Almost certainly a bug in the Preview build.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.