Printer not working with OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
rjfost

Printer not working with OpenOffice

Post by rjfost »

My home office has an HP 3830 laserjet printer & it works fine for other applications; I'm also able to send a test page from the Control Panel.

However, when I try to print from OpenOffice (any module), it shows the "sending to printer" progress bar, but the print job just goes off into the ether. There's nothing queued up in the printer, there's no error message (either on the PC or the printer), it's just...gone.

Has anyone else run into this problem and/or have some idea how to fix it? As a 40-year IT veteran, it's embarrassing to admit that I'm stumped. :crazy:
Ron Fost
OpenOffice 4.1.3, on Win10Pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Printer not working with OpenOffice

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

That seems very strange. Three things to try:

1 File > New > Text document. Type a few words. File > Print ... Does it print OK?

2 Reset the profile - see Resetting the user profile

3 Uninstall and reinstall AOO. Do not save your settings when asked.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rjfost

Post by rjfost »

I got nothin'. #1- no joy; #2- didn't help; #3- still not working. Then, just to be *really* OCD, I uninstalled & reinstalled the printer (even though other apps don't have this problem)—still no luck. I also made sure that the problem is across the whole OO suite- it's not just the text document being finicky.

I'm completely & utterly out of ideas.
Ron Fost
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A thought - does it need Java?

AOO needs 32 bit Java - 64 bit is no good. You may have upgraded 64 bit Java and inadvertently uninstalled 32 bit Java when doing so. Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Java - 32 bit is installed in Program files (x86)\Java.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rjfost

Post by rjfost »

That could be a problem- I'm a developer, so I've got both 32- & 64-bit Java installed on this laptop. I've got a screen capture of the Java settings in OO, but can't figure out how to post it in this bloody window.

Barring anything else, I can export OpenOffice files to another app (Adobe, Office Cloud, what-have-you) & print from there. I just can't stand problems that I can't figure out. :crazy:
Ron Fost
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Are you on the W10 Preview programme? If so it could be a W10 problem.

Note that we now have three adjacent posts about printing not working and all are W10. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90001 and viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89824.

rjfost

Post by rjfost »

Here's the picture which I was previously too dense to upload; thank you very much for the walk-through.
Tools>Options>Java
Tools>Options>Java
Don't know about the W10 version- where do I go to check that?

(I'm usually not this dense, I swear)
Ron Fost
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes, problems printing in Windows from OpenOffice can be cured by reinstalling the printer i.e., so that it has been installed _after_ OpenOffice. I would suggest disconnecting the printer, uninstalling its drivers. Power down computer. Connect printer and turn it on, then power up computer; if it does not detect the printer then install it by hand.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

rjfost wrote:Don't know about the W10 version- where do I go to check that?
Settings?

On W7, right click My computer > Properties.

I expect you would have to sign up for the Preview programme - see https://insider.windows.com/en-us/