[Solved] Java Runtime

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
JakiH

[Solved] Java Runtime

Post by JakiH »

I have used Open Office for few years without any problem. I have searched the forums for this issue, but can only find fairly old topics on the problem and none of the solutions seem to work

My laptop encountered the BSOD this morning and to recover it, I deleted all downloaded programs.

I reinstalled OO but could not open the .xls spreadsheet I needed without installing Java Runtime Environment. I duly downloaded Java and ensured it was the 32 bit version, but still no joy.

I opened OO went to tools>options>Java and selected the version I have downloaded (1.8.0_144) but receive the message that the folder I selected does not contain a JRE.

I have tried disabling Java from the same menu, but no luck with that either

I am still able to open old .csv files

I have uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted and am now utterly frustrated. My computer understanding is relatively basic.

Please help if you can, plain English, non technical language preferred

Thank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
open office 4.1.3 Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Java Runtime

Post by Villeroy »

Either you install the 64-bit version of https://libreoffice.org or you install a 32-bit Java for your 32-bit OpenOffice.
A 32-bit Java resides in C:\Program Files(x86)\
You have a 64-bit system and your current Java resides in C:\Program Files\
There is nothing wrong with having as many Java runtimes installed as needed.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
JakiH

Post by JakiH »

I think I have resolved this issue by following the following ancient post:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update . Click the download button, select the vcredist_x86.exe file and download it. Run the downloaded file to install it. This will install the 32-bit version of msvcr100.dll system wide and AOO 4.1.3 should be able to find and use it.

I am hopeful this is the fix I needed, but thank you for your reply
open office 4.1.3 Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It's a good idea to update that MS component. However, this won't help to integrate Java components with your office suite when you run Windows on 64 bit, the office suite on 32 bit and Java on 64 bit.
You can run
All 32 bit
All 64 bit (LibreOffice only)
Windows64, Office32, Java32
Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It won't help if Java is 64 bit, but it is a workaround for the bug in AOO 4.1.3 that prevents AOO 4.1.3 from finding the 32 bit Java.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill wrote:It won't help if Java is 64 bit, but it is a workaround for the bug in AOO 4.1.3 that prevents AOO 4.1.3 from finding the 32 bit Java.
Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Java ... Click Add and navigate to find Java. AOO needs 32-bit Java in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

John_Ha wrote:
Bill wrote:It won't help if Java is 64 bit, but it is a workaround for the bug in AOO 4.1.3 that prevents AOO 4.1.3 from finding the 32 bit Java.
Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Java ... Click Add and navigate to find Java. AOO needs 32-bit Java in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java.
That doesn't always work. AOO 4.1.3 installs a 64 bit msvcr100.dll. If AOO can't find a 32 bit msvcr100.dll elsewhere, then it won't find a 32 bit Java. The Vsual C++ redistributable installs a 32 bit msvcr100.dll.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04