Uninstalling issues

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
srjintx

Uninstalling issues

Post by srjintx »

I installed the latest version of Open office because I wanted a specific font, not realizing I was really installing the whole software itself. I don't care for it so I uninstalled it from my "remove programs" menu.
Now, I have some word documents on my desktop that has an orange outline and when I try to open it , I get a message that I do not have office installed on my computer. When I click on it , it says I need to enter a product key. I don't have that information as I've had this system for 3 years and don't know where the disks are that came with it. (windows 7)
I can still open Microsoft Word but it has corrupted existing documents and also, if I receive a word document in my email, I cannot open it. I actually went and tried to restore my computer to a past date, but it still will not work properly.
HELP!!
Openoffice 4.1 windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Uninstalling issues

Post by RoryOF »

We cannot help with reinstalling Ms Office, other than to suggest you restore your computer to a pre-OpenOffice restore point. Alternately you can install OpenOffice again and use that to access your earlier MS Office documents.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
srjintx

Post by srjintx »

Why would it "uninstall" MS Office original version? Like I said, I can still open word , excel etc but a bulk of my existing word documents cannot be now.
Very frustrating!!
Like I said, I did restore my computer to a starting point that was prior to installing openoffice.
Openoffice 4.1 windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It should not have touched your MS Office installation: it may have changed your File Associations so that such documents are opened by OpenOffice, and not changed these back in the uninstall. To change the File Associations back to MS Office, see

[Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats
srjintx

Post by srjintx »

So I'm trying that and it's not working.
When I receive a word document in my email, they are coming thru to me as .docx now.
Openoffice 4.1 windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then they are being sent as .docx, which is the default format for current MS Word documents.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you can open Word, then you may just need to set Word as the default program for opening .docx files. Try a Google search for "windows 7 default programs". Microsoft and many others have posted instructions online.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
edwards142
Banned

Post by edwards142 »

Me too facing similar issue with uninstalling office 2010 application…!

Few days back when needs to reinstall of my laptop, and when I was installing Office another program was also getting installed. This has caused Office to crash but it is showing as being installed even though it isn't working. When I try to delete the program it the cursor ticks over but then does nothing, and I am then able to un-install another program without getting the please wait while the current program is uninstalled. I have tried to go into the programs folders and delete the folder but I get told I cannot do this as the program is busy. Trying to repair the program also doesn't work, and I cannot install the program again.

Now I need to completely remove the program so, that I can do a clean install. How can I get shut of the program completely?
:crazy: :ucrazy: :knock: :roll:
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista