File locking

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
eaferguson

File locking

Post by eaferguson »

How do I prevent files from being locked? there is nobody on this system but me and when I click "Save" I don't want to have to check to be sure the file has been saved.
Open Office4.1.3 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: File locking

Post by RusselB »

I do not know if you can prevent file locking, and I wouldn't recommend it due the to following reasons.

File locking not only prevents other users from accessing the files while they are in use, it also prevents other programs from accessing those files while locked.
Programs that might do this include, but are not limited to, anti-virus and malware scanners
If you save and close your files properly, then the locked files are removed automatically. This process does take a bit longer than just shutting down your computer (which seems to be a common problem), due to the methods used for the file storage (files are in a compressed format, similar to a .zip file)
If you save your files, then check that all of your manual paperwork is in order and organized (this does not mean I suspect you of being disorganized), the 2-3 minutes that it might take for you to do this, is (usually) sufficient time for the files to properly save, thus allowing you to close down the computer at that time.
A commonly reported problem is having files show up as nothing but # characters, which experience has taught us is a common symptom of a hasty shutdown. The locked file can serve as a restorable version in such cases.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The exact error message might be: "Document file 'my_doc_name.odt' is locked for editing by user
eaferguson (08 Aug 2017, 03:55)
Open document read-only or open a copy for editing."
[Open Read-Only] [Open Copy] [Cancel]

In this case you close the office suite, open your file manager, tell it to display hidden files and look for a file named .~lock.my_doc_name.odt#. Delete that file.

A second tip: call menu:Tools>Options>Memory and disable the nasty quick-starter. Now you can be fairly sure that your office suite is no longer running after the last office window has been closed. That "quick-starter" has a lot of disadvantages. It is not worth the few seconds it may save in certain situations.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ahtlantashah

Post by ahtlantashah »

i have a similar issue. i have a large document i have put quite a bit of time and effort into. and the ~lock file things that always appear in the source folder while using a document, are not going away.
and now the documents will not open without crashing openoffice?
open office 4.1.3 windows 8
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

If no luck, see if you have backups in the user profile (same topic as above).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ahtlantashah wrote:i have a similar issue. i have a large document i have put quite a bit of time and effort into. and the ~lock file things that always appear in the source folder while using a document, are not going away.
and now the documents will not open without crashing openoffice?
You already have a topic open for discussing your issue. Hijacking someone else's thread causes duplication of answers and confusion.

Lock files not disappearing, unopenable documents
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04