Missing VCL resource

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
suzannemarie

Missing VCL resource

Post by suzannemarie »

I tried to download a Powerpoint presentation from a USB stick onto my computer. I opened OO and I get the message " missing vcl resource This indicates that files vital to localization are missing. You might have a corrupt installation" It will not let me open OO to get to my documents. I have an important document that I need to open.
What can I do to restore OO?
open office 4.1.2 Windows 10
suzannemarie

Re: Missing VCL resource

Post by suzannemarie »

I rebooted my computer and now OO is working fine. I am afraid to download the Power Point Presentation to my computer. I have never used Power Point so how do I download it to my computer? Does it go automatically to OO?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If Open Office is the only office system on your computer, then the Power Point Presentation should open in Impress.
It is unusual, in my experience, for important documents to be done as a Power Point Presentation, as these are a combination of audio files and pictures.
This may be due to a difference in our "definitions" of the term "important".
If Open Office doesn't open the file automatically, then another program that is associated with that type of file will open it, or you will be asked to pick a program to open the file with.
If you get the latter of these, then you I recommend that you go through the list until you see either Open Office or Impress and select that.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
suzannemarie

Post by suzannemarie »

Do I have to check the USB stick for viruses before I open it? I have never done this. I am able to open up my documents so that is not an issue at the moment. I did not know about Impress Thanks for your help
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Impress is the name of the program that is part of Open Office and handles presentations, like Power Point.
It is ALWAYS a good idea to check any external device for viruses.
Most anti-virus products these days will automatically scan the device as soon as it is connected.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
suzannemarie

Post by suzannemarie »

OK Thanks