[Solved] PDF and ODT files no longer readable

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
thompsonjk

[Solved] PDF and ODT files no longer readable

Post by thompsonjk »

I've used Open Office for several years with no issues. This week, OO has stopped properly reading PDF/ODT files. I get the ASCI Filter options window. I was using 4.1.1, so I downloaded and installed 4.1.3. New PDF files are readable (the ASCI Filter box pops up), and I also tried old files that have previously been okay that can no longer be read. I even opened an old text file, "Exported it as a PDF" from the OO menu, and then when I tried to open that recently converted document I still get the ASCI Filter box and a document that opens with symbols instead of text. I have not made any recent changes to my computer or operating system. Not sure why all of the sudden this does not work? Any ideas? Thanks!
Last edited by thomasjk on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Joe T
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 8
Dell Inspiron 15
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: PDF and ODT files no longer readable

Post by thomasjk »

Joe T.
AOO has never been able to read PDF files. They are Adobe files that are not intended to be edited. Having said that the PDF Import Extension https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... openoffice allows minimal editing. I don't know how you were able to open PDF files previously but I suspect that you did so with different software than AOO. Did you download your original install from http://www.openoffice.org/download/? If not you have installed something that claimed to be the original Openoffice but was not. AOO can export any of its files as a PDF but cannot read them.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
thompsonjk

Re: PDF and ODT files no longer readable

Post by thompsonjk »

Thanks for the quick response Tom. I guess I'll just say, I hate getting old! I think what happened is that somehow on my computer one of my kids, ......or my wife,......(or honestly, I suppose it could have been me?!) inadvertently switched the settings, and all PDF documents were trying to be opened by AOO by default. I have switched it back to Adobe Acrobat Reader as the default for all PDF files now. I remembered using AOO for ODT documents and then exporting them as PDF documents. I guess I just thought/remembered that they would then open when I clicked on them, even while I was still "in" AOO. But I guess that when I clicked on them, Acrobat kicked in and automatically opened them. Well, boy do I feel like a big dummy right now ! But I also feel relieved that I think I have figured out my problem. Thanks again for the help and the quick response - and for this awesome, helpful forum for awesome Apache Open Office !!!
Joe T
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 8
Dell Inspiron 15