Retrieving an OO document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
wdc

Retrieving an OO document

Post by wdc »

This OOD document (a table) on my W10 pc that displays fine when I open it ...but it then locks up, saying "Openoffice 4.1.1 has stopped working because of a problem. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I press the "Close Program" button displayed. But I get no further message.

Other OOD documents on the PC work fine.

Any suggestions for rescuing my lost document? Thanks. ...wdc
OpenOffice 4.1.11 for Windows in English/ W11.1 (with Chrome)
RoryOF

Re: Retrieving an OO document

Post by RoryOF »

Your file may open correctly on another operating system, such as Win 7 or Linux. In case it doesn't, try and undelete any temporary file OpenOffice was using. As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful, but this is worth trying in case the file proves unopenable.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Strange.

Can you attach the document here, or give us a link to a copy, so we can try it? It could be something specific to your system.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
wdc

Post by wdc »

RoryOF: Thanks for your help but I think I will just accept the loss and hope it doesn't happen again. The fix is too advanced for my level. ... wdc

aknak: The date is all personal info so can't really send it .... but, in fact, I would not know how to grab the offending document. If I <could> grab it I would just make a copy and recreate it. Thank you. wdc
OpenOffice 4.1.11 for Windows in English/ W11.1 (with Chrome)
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Try to create a new document based on the existing one: right-click on the file in Explorer → New.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)