OO doesn't want to give me English

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Redrose

OO doesn't want to give me English

Post by Redrose »

I downloaded OO in Italian, because I live in Italy, but then decided I'd be better off with English. I uninstalled the Italian and tried to download the English but it keeps give me Italian. I clicked on everything I'm supposed to click on.

I need the English OO with an Italian spellcheck in addition to the English spellcheck.

Please help me. I did what it said to do on the screen.
OpenOffice 4.1.3
RoryOF

Re: OO doesn't want to give me English

Post by RoryOF »

Install the Italian version, then download and install the English Language pack (pick the variety of English you require, there are several).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can also add an English language pack to the Italian version.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The language of your locale will be selected automatically on the download page. To download a different language, click the box which shows the language and select the language you want to download.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Redrose

Post by Redrose »

Thanks, but I did all of that and it didn't help. And I'm not sure you understood the problem.

I need OO in English because I can't understand what it says on the screen when I open it in Italian.

And, in addition to an English spellcheck, I also need an Italian spellcheck.

But I'll try it again.
OpenOffice 4.1.3
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you're lost with the Italian menus, then uninstall and install the English version.
Installing a language pack is quicker but it needs you to navigate in the Italian menus.
There is a direct link to the download page bottom right of this page. Select the correct language and it should be fine.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Redrose

Post by Redrose »

As I said, I did all that. In fact, on my screen I have the little folder that says OO en US. When I click on that, OO opens in ITALIAN.
OpenOffice 4.1.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In that folder is a file setup.exe (I think in a subdirectory called Setup). Double click setup.exe in that folder to install OpenOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Redrose wrote:As I said, I did all that. In fact, on my screen I have the little folder that says OO en US. When I click on that, OO opens in ITALIAN.
There is no folder named "OO en US" associated with Apache OpenOffice, and clicking on a folder won't open Apache OpenOffice. What is the complete name of the folder and what did you actually click that opened Apache OpenOffice?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Redrose

Post by Redrose »

I appreciate your help but I give up.
OpenOffice 4.1.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Remove (Control Panel > Programs > OpenOffice uninstall) the existing OO install; then install from a fresh download only through http://www.openoffice.org/download selecting the language version you need as your main language; when that is installed and running it will be time enough to set up other languages.