[Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined)

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined)

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 pm

It is the most frequent question in this forum!

There is already tutorials for that. The easiest fix is to reset the configuration (reinstalling won't change anything). Follow the steps described here: resetting your OpenOffice user profile.
Note: a script has been developed, it may help you fix it automatically without resetting the whole profile: Spell checker "red wriggly lines" - beta test fix.

If no change, then follow this topic: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.

Further information in this topic: [Solved] No dictionary present in OpenOffice.

If this sticky post with its links has helped you, don't hesitate to leave a post in this thread.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined)

Postby RoyM » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 pm

I had the same problem with red lunderlining, but trying the 'python' fix has removed the red lines but the spelling check does not work at all. There are no language packs available. I have downloaded the English UK but it refuses to show in the languages and still the spell check does not work.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10.
RoyM

Postby John_Ha » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:30 pm

RoyM wrote:I have downloaded the English UK but it refuses to show in the languages and still the spell check does not work.

You need to open the .oxt file with OpenOffice in order for it to install. My UK English dictionary is installed at C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\svdw693c.tmp_\ which contains the folder dict-en-20170701.oxt and the file dict-en-20170701.oxtproperties.

You can debug the problem at [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice but the easiest solution is probably to re-install AOO.

1 Uninstall AOO. When it says "Do you want to keep your user data?" answer no - it is what is causing the problem.

2 Download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html. Install it.
AOO 4.1.4, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby bcripps » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 pm

What is with Spell Check... Over the years I've had nothing but trouble with it. Can't those smart engineers over at LibreOffice get it right? This should NOT be this hard!
Bry
Open Office 4.1.2 operating on Win 7
bcripps

Postby RoryOF » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 pm

The methods to fix are set out in earlier postings in this thread; a recurrence of the problem is most often caused by User error - powering down the computer before the housekeeping information has finally been written to disk. It is worth waiting a few seconds after the formal "OK to power off" message before cutting the power, to permit the write buffers to flush to disk.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.03 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 pm

bcripps wrote:What is with Spell Check... Over the years I've had nothing but trouble with it.

I have used OOo and AOO for 20 or more years, typing thousands of documents and millions of words, and I have never had a problem with spell check. But ...

... I always close AOO properly.
AOO 4.1.4, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Kwilc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 pm

I deleted the user file as recommended. I re-entered my details when I restarted office and the Spell check now works correctly. Thank You
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Kwilc

Postby tirgana » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:54 am

I'm usually quick on the uptake, but the directions you gave to fix the spell checker are completely confusing. Please put the direction is simple terms that are understandable.
openoffice 401
tirgana

Postby RoryOF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am

Try this:

To fix the spellcheck, try renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter.

Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter.

Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice.

Start OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.03 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby tirgana » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:43 pm

File explorer? You are talking to a baby geek.
openoffice 401
tirgana

Postby RoryOF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Google it - I cannot teach you by remote control how to drive a car or a computer.
RoryOF

Postby tirgana » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Never mind. Got it. Thanks.
openoffice 401
tirgana

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting