[Solved] OpenOffice Crash - AutoSaved Temporary Files Gone

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
edwould

[Solved] OpenOffice Crash - AutoSaved Temporary Files Gone

Post by edwould »

Hello!

So I have been using open office to write my university coursework, and it was being autosaved as I was working.

It appeared to crash the other day, at least i couldnt open OpenOffice for a while. It started working but when I reopened it 15pages of my course work where gone.

Have tried going to 'Preferences' - 'Paths' - 'Backups' - but the only folder in there is a different peice of text.
'Temporary' - which just leads me to what seems a recent folder (more recent that the crash) which is just numbers and letters but I cant seem to open it either way.

I realise Ive been an idiot for relying of autosave and not saving in two places - but any help would be a massive life saver!

Thanks for your time!

Edie
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Open Office 4.1.2 on Mac 10.11
robleyd

Re: OpenOffice Crash - AutoSaved Temporary Files Gone (Help!

Post by robleyd »

Hi, and welcome to the community forum.

Try this:

Download Recuva (Windows only) or PhotoRec for Win, MacOS, Linux and other OSes (only one needed) and let it do an in-depth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Timestamped backup may be a useful tool for the future.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
edwould

Re: OpenOffice Crash - AutoSaved Temporary Files Gone (Help!

Post by edwould »

Thanks for the advice -- will keep this in mind for next time .

Luckily the file literally just magicked into existence about 5mins ago... not sure from where -- and it's picked up a bunch of '%' symbols in its title but the info is still there.

thanks
Open Office 4.1.2 on Mac 10.11