[Solved] Trouble Installing OO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
undouble

[Solved] Trouble Installing OO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Post by undouble »

I'm having same trouble (re)installing Open Office 4.1.3 on my Win 10 setup. I've been running OO for a number of years but now find that my existing installation of 4.1.3 is "incomplete" and nothing I've tried will allow it to be a "complete" installation. When I removed this "corrupted?" program and tried re-installing 4.1.3 I get an error message " error 1324 the path Open Office contains an invalid character". I've gone through my registry (per Microsoft) and confirmed the accuracy of the "personal" registry data------but that hasn't helped. The install program aborts itself once this message appears--just before the installer starts to install OO but after performing the .NET update. What can be done at this point-I really want and need OO working on my system (Asus M5A97 r2.0 MB, Radeon RX470 GPU, AMD FX-8320 CPU, 256GB SSD, 32Gb memory)---so meets or exceeds all specs to run OO). :? :(

Needed complete re-install of the Win10 O/S to "clear the 1324 error.
Last edited by undouble on Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Trouble Installing OO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Post by thomasjk »

Waht do you mean by incomplete installation? What error message do you receive? Have you tried Revo Uninstaller Free http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html to completely remove all traces of the program?
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

"Open Office 4.1.3" is an incomplete product name. Did you download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 from openoffice.org or are you trying to install some other "Open Office"?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
undouble

Post by undouble »

thomasjk wrote:Waht do you mean by incomplete installation? What error message do you receive? Have you tried Revo Uninstaller Free http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html to completely remove all traces of the program?
1) When I tried to access my Open Office program the program informed me that the installation was "incomplete" and provided a "link" to complete the installation. But the "link" failed to work. My only recourse was to uninstall Open Office and
re-install the program.
2) I use Iobit's Uninstaller program, which works quite well for complete uninstallation of program and registry entries. I have also run "regedit" to confirm there are no "residuals".
3) The error I'm getting is when the OpenOffice installer package starts and it reads: "error 1324 the path Open Office has an invalid character" at which point the installer aborts.
4) After reviewing available data on this error-- I have validated my Win 10 profile completely, and find nothing within it that would "create" this issue. I have (before this issue began) had the latest MS Win10 updates installed (auto install as I am well aware that MS advised against manual upgrades due to issues with the update).
undouble

Post by undouble »

Bill wrote:"Open Office 4.1.3" is an incomplete product name. Did you download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 from openoffice.org or are you trying to install some other "Open Office"?
No my download was direct from Apache (and validated as correct size for the installer package 134MB)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the message is as you quote "error 1324 the path Open Office has an invalid character" , the culprit is probably the space character between Open and Office.

Your OO install program should be acquired only from http://www.openoffice.org/download; this will redirect you to SourceForge servers, where the files are stored under security. The download will start automatically in about five seconds and you should not click on any other option offered on that window.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
undouble

Post by undouble »

RoryOF wrote:/If the message is as you quote "error 1324 the path Open Office has an invalid character" , the culprit is probably the space character between Open and Office.

Your OO install program should be acquired only from http://www.openoffice.org/download; this will redirect you to SourceForge servers, where the files are stored under security. The download will start automatically in about five seconds and you should not click on any other option offered on that window.
And that's the site I've been using to try and download a "working" installation package. The error message is correct, the question is how do I access the installer to correct it?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

undouble

Post by undouble »

RoryOF wrote:This Windows thread may be helpful
https://www.technipages.com/error-1324- ... -character
Tried that, tried installing as a "different" user, but OO required "admin privileges" and I am the SOLE admin. Still get same message " error 1324. ........." I suspect I need to "alter" the installation package??? to clear this "invalid character"???? but I don't believe that, AS A USER, I have the necessary authority OR permission to access and alter this packet.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Did you try right clicking on the downloaded package selecting "Run As Administrator"?
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
undouble

Post by undouble »

Yep same result! STUPID error 1324!!!!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What is your home directory called? Is there a space in the path, or an apostrophe or some punctuation character?
undouble

Post by undouble »

RoryOF wrote:What is your home directory called? Is there a space in the path, or an apostrophe or some punctuation character?
To my knowledge, my home directory follows Microsoft standards--without spaces or wildcards. I have never (until now) had an issue installing software (including Open Office) or updating existing programs. To this point, the ONLY "problem" software I've encountered is Open Office. I even created a directory (f:\\Open\ to install OO 4.1.3 into, and still am getting the "error 1324. The path Open Office has an invalid character" message. (This is the EXACT wording of the error). From my viewpoint, this "appears" to be an issue with the app installer ------------compounded??? by the "latest and greatest" update to Win 10 & Edge?? I'd love to restore my Win10 to an earlier "version", but seriously don't believe that will "solve" this problem----------and I'm not a fan of non-stick "bandaid" solutions!!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you wish to install OpenOffice on Windows to a different drive, it is my understanding that the best method is to permit it to unpack the installation files to your desktop, then to select to make a Custom installation. I haven't installed on Windows in many years, so take that advice with caution.

If space is at a premium on the C: drive, the installation files can later be deleted to recover their space.
undouble

Post by undouble »

RoryOF wrote:If you wish to install OpenOffice on Windows to a different drive, it is my understanding that the best method is to permit it to unpack the installation files to your desktop, then to select to make a Custom installation. I haven't installed on Windows in many years, so take that advice with caution.

If space is at a premium on the C: drive, the installation files can later be deleted to recover their space.
I recognize that-- I've got (2) 250GB SSD's with MORE than enough space on either!. It doesn't matter WHERE I try to install OO- desktop, C:\ (that's my main disk-- hardware & system services (AV, maintenance, GPU, O/S, etc) or (D:\ E:\ F:\)----secondary (formatted)----------I get the same result ------------------- "error 1341. ..................." sigh!!
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

in your last post, you report error 1341, opposed to error 1324, referenced in most of the other posts in this topic (where the error number is referenced)
According to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx
ERROR_SERVER_DISABLED
1341 (0x53D)
The server is currently disabled.
As this is your local system (I'm presuming based on the drive lettering used), it sounds like your version of Windows is looking for a server drive, rather than a local one.
At this point, I would suggest doing a cold boot, and then trying again.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
undouble

Post by undouble »

No, my fingers didn't werk sew well. It REALLY is "error 1324. The file path Open Office contains an invalid character"
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

In that case, have you tried doing a custom installation to a directory with a different name? It's extremely difficult (impossible?) to determine what character is being tagged as invalid.
I suggest a path with no special (ie: non-alphabetic) characters.... though I just checked my own installation, and that path does contain space characters and brackets.
The last time I ran into this problem, it was because the Shift key was stuck down, thus giving a shifted space, which looks like a normal space. Further typing showed the problem allowing me to fix it, though you probably would've noticed the difference by now if that was your situation.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
undouble

Post by undouble »

Ok--------I just did a complete "reset" on my Win10 installation. Of course, I now have to re-install "most" of my programs-----------ugh!!! However, this approach DID allow me to re-install OO 4.1.3 WITHOUT any issue. I hate using "blunt hammers" to fix things-----but that seems to be the ONLY approach that works related to the "latest and greatest" Win 10 "upgrade"------------you know, the one that MS has been warning us "has issues" and insists that we NOT update our systems manually!!!
*&*(&(^ expresses my feelings!! Even the "autoupdate" approach recommended by MS appears to have some significant issues that need to be addressed BEFORE this "update" can be considered to be "stable".
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

As far as I'm concerned, I "upgraded" from Windows 10 to Windows 7
webtycho

Re: [Solved] Trouble Installing OO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Post by webtycho »

[Solved!!!!!]
For anyone experiencing crash during installation with a sudden abort during the progress bar, with no error message given, it is not a bug of OpenOffice ! Most likely it's because your PC is well-locked down.
The below worked for me with OO v 4.1.7 and later!
1) Exiting all instances of Chrome browser
2) Put the OO installer .exe file on Desktop (ie remove from Downloads folder)
3) If you are running real-time protection in any 3rd party apps you must Disable or snooze them all (e.g Symantec Endpoint, Malwarebytes, Webroot, Bitdefender). The free versions of these apps do not give real-time protection.
4) After you have done this, Windows Defender will kick in. Disable Microsoft Defender Application Guard in Win10 Settings>Security>Virus & Threat settings
5) I also disabled Windows Defender Smartscreen. This is a newer, optional security feature in Edge browser. Yeah, I know it should not affect Windows, but MS has a bad reputation for integrating browser functions into its OS. So I temporarily disabled Smartscreen. Security >App & Browser setting > Windows Defender Smartscreen.
Suggest to do a restart.
I didn't need to uninstall previous versions of OO. The installer takes care of that.
Nice smooth install. One or more of these steps DID resolve the issue for me.. just not sure which one(s).
If anybody can follow up w/ their experience please advise.
OpenOffice v4.1.9 AOO419m1(Build 9805) (or newer) on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.906 (or newer)