[Solved] Spell check

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
kurtrabbit

[Solved] Spell check

Post by kurtrabbit »

My spell check marks ALL words as misspelled. I see from my searches for a fix that this is a common issue. I've done my best to walk through the tutorials and fix the problem to no avail. This happened to me once before and I can't remember the fix. Please help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.0.0 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: spell check

Post by RoryOF »

Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kurtrabbit

Re: Spell check

Post by kurtrabbit »

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH. That totally did the trick. Here's the thing. I tried this before your post, using the tutorial but somehow never got to the correct folder and did not have success. Your instruction to " Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer" was the KEY! Thanks again.
OpenOffice 4.0.0 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Spell check

Post by RoryOF »

To minimise the chances of this happening again, be leisurely in powering off/hibernating your computer after closing OpenOffice. The OO housekeeping files are complex and take a few seconds more to construct, write and then flush from t he software/hardware write buffers. After you go thorough the formal power off/hibernate procedure wait a few seconds for all disk activity to cease before powering off.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS