Dosis Medium and ExtraLight Missing

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Gabriel Miceli

Dosis Medium and ExtraLight Missing

Post by Gabriel Miceli »

Not too long ago, I found Dosis, a font that has a dot within the zero. It comes with seven shades: ExtraLight, Light, Regular, Medium, SemiBold, Bold, and ExtraBold. However, with both OpenOffice and LibreOffice, the Medium and ExtraLight font shades are missing. I noticed this issue when I needed to find the right font thickness and I found that Medium was not an option, and further inspection has also shown that ExtraLight was also missing.
Gabriel Miceli
xOffice Versions:
OpenOffice version 4.1.3 on Windows 7
LibreOffice version 5.3.1.2 on Ubuntu 17.04
Both operating systems are 32-bit.
Hagar Delest

Re: Dosis Medium and ExtraLight Missing

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It may depend on the site where you download the font. I tried on http://www.1001fonts.com/dosis-font.html and it seems that the Medium is in fact Regular. The Light is however missing.
Here is what I see on my AOO 4.1.3 with that package:
Dosis.png
So I made some tests and I found that when you install the ExtraLight file, then the Light font disappears.
There may be a problem with the font identification within the font file. Something to be fixed by the author I guess.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, the font handling in OpenOffice may be simplified to handle only the "standard" four styles - normal, bold, italic. bold italic. For more sophisticated font handling one may need to use a program designed for print layout, such as Adobe Indesign or similar. Scribus may attempt such sophistication - I don't know, as I have never used it.
 Edit: An answer may be to split to package into two groups of (say) four fonts, then edit the internal identification of one group to be DosisX, using a font editor, or better yet DXsis (same number of characters) so this could be done with a Hex editor. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Gabriel Miceli

Post by Gabriel Miceli »

Hagar Delest:
I replaced the font with the one from the official website (http://www.impallari.com/dosis), but it still isn't without its problems on OpenOffice:
Typing ty creates a double-space, also dropping the t. Typing Pe while in between zoom 119%-123% and having Dosis Book at size 12.5 looks weird.
However, all character previews look good. And yes, the text in the background is my actual homework.
'Dosis TTF is bad on OpenOffice' PNG, 800x600, 53.3 KB
'Dosis TTF is bad on OpenOffice' PNG, 800x600, 53.3 KB
Edit: It turns out that the ty and Pe issues are only present in that document. I have no clue why. But, Dosis Light is still missing, which is still some form of an issue.
Gabriel Miceli
xOffice Versions:
OpenOffice version 4.1.3 on Windows 7
LibreOffice version 5.3.1.2 on Ubuntu 17.04
Both operating systems are 32-bit.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Try removing Dosis ExtraLight only and replacing it with the version of Dosis ExtraLight from Google Fonts. With that version of Dosis ExtraLight installed , I have ExtraLight, Light, Book, Regular, SemiBold, Bold and ExtraBold available in AOO 4.1.3 on Windows 10. In the version from the official site, FontForge shows that Dosis Light and Dosis ExtraLight both have the Weight as "Light". That may be why only one will show up in OpenOffice. The Google Fonts version of Dosis ExtraLight has the Weight as "Extra-Light".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04