Spell check

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Btuvi

Spell check

Post by Btuvi »

I tried to use spell check with the older system and got red squiggly lines under every word and no spell check. Tried everything I could think of to fix it or stop it. Even cussed at it. No luck. Long time later I downloaded new version 4.1.3 and no more squiggly lines. Tried to set up spell check. Red squiggly lines are back. I know this must be my mistake and that a fix is simple so if there are any simpletons amongst you please help.

Thanks, Barry
Open Office 3.1 on Windows xp
RusselB

Re: Spell check

Post by RusselB »

This problem has been reported so many times, I've lost track, and the solution, in most if not all cases, is to reset your user profile.
[Tutorial] The Open Office User Profile
A search of the forum for Spell Check would've brought back thousands of posts regarding this (and similar) problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Btuvi

Post by Btuvi »

You have got to be kidding me. This is your fix for an ongoing problem? All this gobbledegook? I'm just stunned.
Open Office 3.1 on Windows xp
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

All that gobbledegook (as you put it) is due to the fact that the one tutorial covers most (if not all) versions of Open Office as well as the various operating systems.

To simplify things, I'm going to quote one of moderators.
RoryOF wrote:Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.