Read-error in sub-document content.xml

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
maupass29

Read-error in sub-document content.xml

Post by maupass29 »

Hi,

So this error has been raised here before, but I haven't found advice that helps.

'read-error
format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,29657 (row, col).'

I have seen where users here have uploaded .odt files and someone else has kindly used an editing progam to fix whatever's at issue. I have no competency with xml parsers or the like at all and I'm wondering if it's possible for me to do the same if anyone is willing to look at it, assuming it's a readily fixable problem, as it's something I've spent a long time on and have no backups of. I would be enormously appreciative. It's 37 kb.
OpenOffice 4.1.3, macOS Sierra
RoryOF

Re: read-error

Post by RoryOF »

Upload the file to Forum, using the Upload tab below the Submit button on PostReply or FullEditor screens and someone will have a look at it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
maupass29

Re: Read-error in sub-document content.xml

Post by maupass29 »

Many thanks.
Attachments
Of Human Bondage.odt
(33.06 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm getting nothing useful from your file. It is mostly NUL characters and the early part contains no user data only formatt9ing information..
maupass29

Post by maupass29 »

RoryOF wrote:I'm getting nothing useful from your file. It is mostly NUL characters and the early part contains no user data only formatt9ing information..
Thank you for looking at it. I don't understand what the problem is, though. I hoped that since a line location of the error is given, that means it could be edited. Can you tell me in lay terms why it isn't or if there's another means of doing so?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The problem is that the file is corrupt; it looks as if the computer was powered off before the entire file had been written to disk. Some space had been pre-allocated, and the first part of this space filled with some of the formatting information, which is written before the significant data of the file. Then the writing of the formatting information (the definitions of the styles used in the file) ceased for whatever reason (probably power off of the computer) and the balance of the file was forgotten in the unexpected power off event.

There is nothing usable in the file. Your only hope is to try as soon as possible to recover some of the temporary files used while the file was being worked on on your computer. See
[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files

Do not delay doing this - you may or may not be successful.
maupass29

Post by maupass29 »

Thanks for your help and explanation, RoryOF. I'm afraid any backups seem to be gone, but at least I'll know to be more careful in future.