[Solved] Styles and Formatting window won't open

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Helenmhb

[Solved] Styles and Formatting window won't open

Post by Helenmhb »

I cannot get the Styles and Formatting window/panel to open, no matter whether I click the icon, or F11 or click on "more text" in the little styles window on the tool bar. I have OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10. :D
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Styles and Formatting window won't open

Post by RoryOF »

Look at the right hand frame of the OpenOffice window. If there is a row of little dots in the middle (vertical) of the frame, hover cursor over them; when it turns into a double headed arrow, pull to the left and the Styles and Formatting window will appear. If you place cursor on its top bar and drag, it should undock.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Helenmhb

Re: Styles and Formatting window won't open

Post by Helenmhb »

Thank you. There was no row of dots, but when I went to the right side of the screen and put the cursor as if to change the size of the window, and dragged, the styles window appeared.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
thnidu

Re: [Solved] Styles and Formatting window won't open

Post by thnidu »

Helenmhb wrote:Thank you. There was no row of dots, but when I went to the right side of the screen and put the cursor as if to change the size of the window, and dragged, the styles window appeared.
Thank you, Helenmhb! This is what happened to me also.

Why isn't this in the manual? The OO Help for "styles;creating from selections" just says "1. Choose Format - Styles and Formatting." Well, if you don't already know about dragging left from just inside the right edge of the window, nothing happens. :crazy: — Eh, Moderator RoryOF, can you make a bug report for this?
/ˈθnɪdu/
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.7.5
ᏌᏊ ᎦᏬᏂᏍᏗ ᎥᏝ ᏰᎵᏊ —One language is never enough.
Dr. Whom: Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoëpist, and Philological Busybody; also copyeditor and proofreader
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Eh, Moderator RoryOF, can you make a bug report for this?
You can make a bug report for this, too.

There are two ways to show the Styles and Formatting panel:
- On the Sidebar: View - Sidebar - Styles and Formatting
- On a floating (but anchorable/dockable) panel: F11, or Format - Styles and Formatting
Styles_and_formatting.png

The "Hide-Show dots" are not assigned for the "Styles and formatting" feature only... It is a general tool for the anchored/docked toolbars on the left or rigth side of the window.
Search it in the general part of the Help document:
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Sho ... ng_Windows
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Reporting a bug or making a suggestion for improvement is open to all, using the methods outlined in
[Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I'm not sure what should be put in a bug report or suggestion. The left-drag trick only works if the user has hidden the docked window by right-dragging the left edge of the docked window to minimize its width. In that case, the user should realize that the window has to be returned to normal size by left-dragging the same edge of the window. The recommended methods for hiding and showing docked windows is in Help. Search for hiding;docked windows or showing;docked windows. Help says that docked windows should be hidden or shown by clicking the button on the edge of the docked window. When the window is hidden this way, the left-drag trick won't work because the double-headed arrow that is used to resize the window won't appear while the window is hidden.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Jasmin7

Post by Jasmin7 »

I am not sure how to fix it.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista