Downloaded Updates and Extensions?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
CitizenoftheRealm

Downloaded Updates and Extensions?

Post by CitizenoftheRealm »

Yes, I am new to Open Office. :) I haven't figured out how this program works yet, but immediately after downloading and installing it, it showed a notice that I needed to update the dictionaries. So I followed the link and downloaded the dictionaries as well as a few of your presentation templates. All these files downloaded to my downloads folder and I've clicked on them, and it doesn't seem to do anything with them as far as "Installing" them. They don't seem to be available when I open Open Office. Do I need to move these files from the downloads folder some other folder that Open Office will find and if so, which one?
Thank you.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Downloaded Updates and Extensions?

Post by robleyd »

Welcome to the forum!

Click Tools-->Extension manager--->Add then navigate to the location where you saved the extension. Select and click Open.

If you are using IE to download the extensions, it may silently rename them to .zip; if this is the case you need to rename them as .oxt You may have to tell Windows Explorer to show file extensions.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
CitizenoftheRealm

Post by CitizenoftheRealm »

Thank you. When I do that, the dictionaries says it is already installed - so I guess I must have installed it already and just can't see it anywhere - sorry about that.
Does this same process work for the templates? They don't show up when I open the extension manager.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The installed dictionary should be visible in /Tools /Extension manager. You may need to select it in /Tools /Options /Language Settings /Languages for it to be enabled; if it is not correctly enabled you may either get no spelling check, or alternately every word underlined in red.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS