[Solved] Writing Chinese with OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Randy

[Solved] Writing Chinese with OpenOffice

Post by Randy »

I am looking for a package that will allow me to write both English and Chinese using Openoffice, but I am having trouble finding one. Chinese websites have downloads, but they do not say if the programmes are bilingual or only Chinese.
Does anyone know a good place to look?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as solved.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Re: writing chinese with openoffice

Post by Robert Tucker »

You don't need a Chinese version to write Chinese in OpenOffice. If you want the choice of having the GUI in Chinese or English you will need to have English and Chinese Language packs installed. To write in Chinese you need a Chinese input method and have the correct settings under Tools>Options...>Language Settings. In particular you will want to have Enhanced Language Support enabled for Asian languages.

For a Chinese version go to:

http://zh.openoffice.org/new/index.html

But if you already have an English version installed you will just want to install the Chinese language pack.
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Thank you very much.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

The language packs are not quite easy to find:
Go to the extended mirrors list, then choose a mirror site near you, and then go to the folder ./extended/2.4.1rc2/.
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP