Help with templates please!

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
peterwallison

Help with templates please!

Post by peterwallison »

Hi there,

I have used OO in the past but infrequently, but find myself needing to help someone create a CV/resume tomorrow, they use Open Office 4.1.2

There are quite a few templates on the official template site and I have downloaded a few, but they all unzip to reveal half-a-dozen subfolders containing various files but none seem to be the right format for a Writer template!

Please excuse my ignorance!

Peter
Swindon, UK
Peter W Allison
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Re: Help with templates please!

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You need to install the extension.
Download it, then if your browser has changed the extension to .zip, rename it to .oxt.
In AOO, in Tools>Extension manager, click the add button and select that .oxt file.
They should be available afterward in the File>Templates dialog.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
peterwallison

Post by peterwallison »

Hi there, Hagar, thanks for your help so far.

I have changed the extension of a couple of the zip files to .oxt, and having followed your instructions they now seem to have been installed as extensions. I am now missing out on how to use them! If I go to File-Templates then I get a sub-menu with the choices Organise-Address book source-Save-Edit. Which one of these do I follow? I am guessing that the templates don't have to be in a particular folder, as long as the extension is installed?

If I choose "Organise" from the above four options I get a dialogue box that shows Templates on the left and Documents on the right, and "basic-resume" is listed as one of the folders under templates...but I don't know where to go after that - sorry!

Peter
Peter W Allison
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10 64-bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

To open a new document, use File > New > Templates and Documents instead of File > Templates > Organize.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04