Save gives Bad allocation

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
BAMckinley

Save gives Bad allocation

Post by BAMckinley »

SYSTEMS: Calc, Open Office 4.1.3, Windows 10

I am using 5 different files and entering 1 line in each form. When I am done with entering 1 row in 1 form, I try to save. When I try to save I get the "Bad Allocation" error and lose the information that I just saved. Calc recovers the 5 files but doesn't save the information I just input. I have looked at the bad allocation information in the forums but none I have seen are related to "SAVE" and none were in 4.1.3. I am currently chasing my tail as it doesn't happen every single time it is intermittent. I am trying to use this software for my work as I believe it is better than Microsoft Excel and you offer better support. Did I do this right as far as posting a new topic?

Thank you.
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 10
Barbara McKinley
RoryOF

Re: SAVE=BAD ALLOCATION

Post by RoryOF »

Please start OpenOffice Writer, make a new file, enter some text (simply type "DT" without quotes and press F3 key), then Save As, giving it some title ("Test" without quotes might be good). This will let us know if the Save mechanism is working correctly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
BAMckinley

Re: Save gives Bad allocation

Post by BAMckinley »

When you say writer, I am guessing that you meant the word processor. I did as you asked and this appeared after typing DT

He heard quiet steps behind him. That didn't bode well. Who could be following him this late at night and in this deadbeat part of town? And at this particular moment, just after he pulled off the big time and was making off with the greenbacks. Was there another crook who'd had the same idea, and was now watching him and waiting for a chance to grab the fruit of his labor? Or did the steps behind him mean that one of many law officers in town was on to him and just waiting to pounce and snap those cuffs on his wrists? He nervously looked all around. Suddenly he saw the alley. Like lightning he darted off to the left and disappeared between the two warehouses almost falling over the trash can lying in the middle of the sidewalk. He tried to nervously tap his way along in the inky darkness and suddenly stiffened: it was a dead-end, he would have to go back the way he had come. The steps got louder and louder, he saw the black outline of a figure coming around the corner. Is this the end of the line? he thought pressing himself back against the wall trying to make himself invisible in the dark, was all that planning and energy wasted? He was dripping with sweat now, cold and wet, he could smell the fear coming off his clothes. Suddenly next to him, with a barely noticeable squeak, a door swung quietly to and fro in the night's breeze. Could this be the haven he'd prayed for? Slowly he slid toward the door, pressing himself more and more into the wall, into the dark, away from his enemy. Would this door save his hide?
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 10
Barbara McKinley
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Writer is the name of the OpenOffice word processor, Calc is the spreadsheet, Impress is the presentation tool (like Powerpoint)

What RoryOf was asking was for you to save a new document with some text in it to see if the problem appears for you in Writer.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
FMStewart

Post by FMStewart »

I'm having this same problem. I'm using version 4.1.3 in Windows 10. I downloaded a template from the Apache website "simple_nonprofit_accounting_template". In making entries and/or changes the program frequently crashes. When I try to save my work, using save as, it just ignores it or gives a 'Bad Allocation' error. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Fred
OpenOffice version 4.1.3 running on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Do you have the same problem using File -> Save (Ctrl+s)?
If not, why are you using the Save As option?
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
FMStewart

Post by FMStewart »

Yes, both 'Save' and 'Save As' gets ignored or gives the error. I use the 'Save As' function to save the file in a folder of my choice rather than the default 'documents' folder.
Fred
OpenOffice version 4.1.3 running on Windows 10