Spellcheck problems

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
lmar1

Spellcheck problems

Post by lmar1 »

have 4.1.3 installed. Spellcheck does not have dictionary. Indicates all words are misspelled. I have downloaded the U.S. English dictionary.
Open office 4.1.3 on windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Re: spellcheck problems

Post by floris v »

Reset your user profile. Click here for help how to do that.

Moved topic to Beginners section because it certainly doesn't belong in the more or less off-topic community section.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Spellcheck problems

Post by jrkrideau »

lmar1 wrote:have 4.1.3 installed. Spellcheck does not have dictionary. Indicates all words are misspelled. I have downloaded the U.S. English dictionary.
AOO has a spell-checker, it just is not working.

If you downloaded an English version of AOO the U.S English dictionary should have been installed by default.
What dictionaries do you have installed?

Tools > Options > Language settings > Languages.
Default Languages for Documents > Western will show what language you currently have selected. It should have a small symbol (blue in my case) to the left of the name indicating that it is installed. Is this the language you wanted? If not change to desired language.

If you want to change languages you can use any in the list with that installation symbol beside it or install others as you did with the US one.

Check to make sure that your Styles are set to the same language. Fastest way to check is to check the paragraph Default Style language.

If everything looks consistent you may may need to reset the user profile.
Last edited by jrkrideau on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
BossBob

Post by BossBob »

I have downloaded and uninstalled the full English version 3 times. I've looked in Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages and I see that English has been set as the default language, but there is no blue dot in the dialog box. I've also tried downloading v4.1.1 with the same result. What else can I do.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

BossBob wrote:I I've looked in Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages and I see that English has been set as the default language, but there is no blue dot in the dialog box.
As Rory says, reset your profile. The other question is what English is selected? AOO has different flavours of English for different countries. My LibreOffice installation lists 18 different English spell-check dictionaries but only five have been installed by default so you may have an English dictionary selected that is not installed.

Try English UK or English US as they are almost certainly installed by default.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
BossBob

Post by BossBob »

I've copy and pasted renamed User so how do I start the program since the Quickstarter is gone
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

From your desktop icon.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
jmrathbun

Post by jmrathbun »

I have used OO for many years with minimal difficulty. I recently updated to 4.1.3. Today I noticed that the word 'availble' was not marked by the spellchecker. I tried everything in the list above without benefit. No misspelling is noticed by OO Writer with AutoSpellcheck toggled on or with F7. I renamed the user folder to user_old but that didn't help. I made sure that US English was set in the Language Settings menu. What more can I do to fix this? :crazy:
OO 4.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Was that the only word that it didn't catch? Or doesn't it mark any misspelled words? Did you have to fill in new user data after renaming the user data folder (user profile)? If not, you didn't properly rename it.
Nederlandstalig forum