Installation of spell check

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
justauntb

Installation of spell check

Post by justauntb »

I bought a new computer a few days ago and had to redownload Open Office. Now it doesn't have a spell checker in it. Can anyone help me?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Dell desktop
RusselB

Re: Installation of spell check

Post by RusselB »

Did you download and install a full version of Open Office from http://www.openoffice.org/download
If not, then you could have just the language pack, which means you still need the full installation. The full installation does include the files for one language, and the language packs allow additional languages to be added/used.
If you did the download, but not the installation, then you need to run the installer, which should resolve the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

justauntb wrote:I bought a new computer a few days ago and had to redownload Open Office. Now it doesn't have a spell checker in it. Can anyone help me?
If it was a full AOO installation it has a spellchecker assuming the installation was clean.

What is more likely is that a) you have not set the language you normally use in Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages, b) you have not installed the needed spell-check dictionary that you normally use, c) There is a mismatch between the language mentioned above and the language specified in the Styles you are using.

The language chosen in Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages, should have a blue marker beside it to indicate that it is installed. If not install the correct dictionary extension.

Confirm that language chosen in Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages is the same as the one in the paragraph Styles you are using.

If the problem continues you may need to reset the user profile].
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

You can download dictionaries for as many languages as you like for spell checking, you only need a language pack when you want another language for the user interface.
Make sure that in Tools - Options - Language Settings - Writing Aids - in the list at the top Hunspell SpellChecker is available and turned on (ticked).
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
justauntb

Post by justauntb »

floris.......there is nothing in the list at the top.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

spell.png
spell.png (4.49 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
You don't have this? Then please give full information on where you downloaded your copy of OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
justauntb

Post by justauntb »

I don't remember
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Then download again, but now download the real thing from the link in the right hand bottom of this page. After installing please report back here.
Nederlandstalig forum
justauntb

Post by justauntb »

I did what you said, downloaded, installed, open Open Office.....deliberately spelled a word wrong and hit check spelling and a window poped up that said my spell check was complete......did not fix the word or tell me it was spelled wrong.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

You have set the language to something sensible? You have spell check as you type turned on? Can you upload a sample file as an attachment?
Because, of course, OO does come with a full fledged spell checker.
Nederlandstalig forum
justauntb

Post by justauntb »

Sensible????? I guess English is about as sensible as I can get. I have written over 100 short stories and 4 paperback books in Open Office. Seems like I should be able to use it now ......since I got my new computer only 5 days ago and had to download Open Office again, now it doesn't work. I can send you a sample in an Open Office format. I hope it works...lol

I don't know how to put a zip file in here.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

For almost every single user of OpenOffice the spell checker works as it should (I have translated several books in Writer, spell check always worked fine, it still does), sometimes after resetting the user profile. The problem is up your end, not with openOffice. However, we want to figure out's what's wrong. So ...

Start a new post, click Upload attachment below the text area where you enter your post. Select an odt file, it shouldn't be large, it should just show us what's wrong on your side.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to reset your OpenOffice user profile as advised at the beginning of the discussion?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

justauntb wrote:Sensible????? I guess English is about as sensible as I can get.
My default installation of LibreOffice has 5 English spell-check dictionaries installed
• English (Australia)
• English (Canada)
• English (South Africa)
• English (UK)
• English (USA)

and offers 14 other versions that are presumably available for installation. " I guess English" does not work. Each dictionary will be customized to the normal usage in each country Just assuming the language is "English" does not work, there can be serious differences in spelling and vocabulary between dictionaries.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04