Building a custom dictionary for spellchecking

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
brahim213

Building a custom dictionary for spellchecking

Post by brahim213 »

Hi,

I have a question about building a custom dictionary (.dic) for spellchecking in writer.

i have build a custom dictionary by following these instructions FOR MY LOCAL LANGUAGE :
http://www.suares.com/index.php?page_id=25&news_id=233

and i have add mylang.dic to :
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\OpenOffice\4\user\wordbook

i have list of 10 000 words.

But not works for me !!
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows XP
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: building a custom dictionary for spellchecking

Post by jrkrideau »

brahim213 wrote:Hi,
But not works for me !!
This does not tell us much. Are you getting any error messages? Is the standard dictionary working correctly?

What operating system and what version of AOO or LibreOffice are you using?

What language ?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

You linked to a set of instructions that helps you to build a set of dictionary files that you can use within hunspell. But if you want to use it in OpenOffice, you have to follow the rules of OpenOffice, and for that, you have to turn the dictionary files into an extension, then you have to install the extension before you can use it.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
brahim213

Post by brahim213 »

floris v wrote:You linked to a set of instructions that helps you to build a set of dictionary files that you can use within hunspell. But if you want to use it in OpenOffice, you have to follow the rules of OpenOffice, and for that, you have to turn the dictionary files into an extension, then you have to install the extension before you can use it.
how i can turn the dictionary files into OpenOffice extension?? what is steps ??
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A possible workaround (detail not considered or tried, so this may not work): make a custom dictionary of the correct name within OpenOffice. Exit OO. Open the new custom dictionary with a plain text editor and verify that the headers correspond with those of the custom dictionary you have made (any count of entries needs to be correct). Then replace the new dictionary file with the custom dictionary file. This may or may not work.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
brahim213

Post by brahim213 »

RoryOF wrote:A possible workaround (detail not considered or tried, so this may not work): make a custom dictionary of the correct name within OpenOffice. Exit OO. Open the new custom dictionary with a plain text editor and verify that the headers correspond with those of the custom dictionary you have made (any count of entries needs to be correct). Then replace the new dictionary file with the custom dictionary file. This may or may not work.
I have already tested this method because my local language uses non latin like german or turkish caracters so when .dic text file format is changed from ANSI to Utf8 will not work.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

brahim213

Post by brahim213 »

RoryOF wrote:Try this
Creating and mass populating Custom Dictionary
it may be helpful.

i have tested this method but not work !!

my local language uses caracters with Utf8 (.dic with Utf8 Format) like german or turkish and this example shows how to build it with en-US (.dic with ANSI Format)

attached my local language dictionary tamazight.dic in archive tamazight.zip
(Utf8 format of file)
Attachments
tamazight.zip
(334 Bytes) Downloaded 202 times
Last edited by brahim213 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try this version - I haven't tested it, but the headers in your sample file are incorrect.
Attachments
tamazight.zip
(490 Bytes) Downloaded 191 times
brahim213

Post by brahim213 »

RoryOF wrote:Try this version - I haven't tested it, but the headers in your sample file are incorrect.

i have add it in C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\OpenOffice\4\user\wordbook
not work for me

i tested it by creating extension and not worl too !
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Building a custom dictionary for spellchecking

Post by John_Ha »

Search the Writer forum with dictionary - there are a number of posts about creating your own dictionary.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.