[Solved] Installation Wizard

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
christaliise

[Solved] Installation Wizard

Post by christaliise »

I have OpenOffice 3.3 installed in 1 laptop and I want to copy it into another laptop with Windows XP. I have copied & pasted the folder into Program Files and I need to re-install so can anybody tell me where I can find the Installation Wizard?
Last edited by christaliise on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Installation Wizard

Post by Zizi64 »

I have OpenOffice 3.3 installed in 1 laptop and I want to copy it into another laptop with Windows XP. I have copied & pasted the folder into Program Files and I need to re-install so can anybody tell me where I can find the Installation Wizard?
Only the Portable versions of the AOO or LO will work with the Copy/Paste method. You must install regularly the other versions.
The 3.3 is a very old version. You can find the installers of the older versions on the "older versions" pages, like the:
http://downloadarchive.documentfoundati ... ffice/old/
or
http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/
http://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/

Recent portable versions:
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/lib ... e_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You can't install programs in Windows by copying and pasting Program files. The Installation Wizard is in the original file that you downloaded to install OpenOffice.org 3.3. If you don't have that file, then you should click the download link at the bottom of the forum page and download it, but since OpenOffice.org 3.3. is obsolete, you might as well download the current version of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 and install it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You have two choices to copy your existing version of OpenOffice. Either move the Installation files, which may (unless erased) show on your desktop as an OpenOffice folder probably called something like "OpenOffice Installation files", or move the downloaded file (probably in your browser's download directory); this will have a name similar to Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.2_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe. If you copy this file to the second computer. double clicking on it will start the installation. If you copy the download folder somewhere in that is a file called "setup.exe"; double click this and OO should install.
 Edit: As Bill says, it will be best to download the latest version of OO to the target computer. Then double click that and it will install. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
christaliise

Post by christaliise »

Thanks Guys, but I'm trying to avoid downloading coz I have a very slow and unreliable ISP. I've tried searching the sites and files as recommended but can't find anything that resembles an installation wizard. I was hoping there was such a wizard within the folder that I copied or maybe I could download one in a short time. If any of that is not possible then my only option is to download the latest complete version.

I downloaded OpenOffice 3.3 around June 2012 and can't find the download. I did that under Windows 7 but have since upgraded to Windows 10 and the download is not in the downloads folder. I would not have deleted it. Maybe someone can tell me where the download would be?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you are on Windows 10, I would strongly recommend downloading OO 4,1,2. If your Internet connection is uncertain, use a download manager; in fact, I think all modern browsers incorporate one.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
christaliise

Post by christaliise »

I have Windows 10 in the laptop that already has OpenOffice 3.1 and yes Chrome has a download manager but I have found it is unreliable as it finalizes before it is completely downloaded and I can't resume. I also have FireFox in the same laptop which has a more reliable download manager. However the laptop I want to install OpenOffice in, is operated by Windows XP, and I prefer XP coz it is much faster than Windows 7 & 10, and in that laptop I only have Chrome and an old copy of IE. If I have to I'll download FireFox into Windows XP then download OpenOffice 4.1.2, but I'm trying to avoid all of that.
OpenOffice 3 Windows XP
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You could always copy the installation wizard (ie: the program you downloaded) onto a USB stick using the Windows 10 machine, then move the USB stick to the XP machine and run the installer from the USB stick.
I did it this way for a laptop a friend of mine has, due to the fact that the built-in wifi doesn't work and it was easier to do this than to try to connect it using a wired connection.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
christaliise

Post by christaliise »

I found the installation wizard but it would not work, possibly because it was the installed program I copied. I ended up downloading version 4 while my Internet connection was running superb, it only took around 45 minutes. Thanks Guys.
OpenOffice 3 Windows XP