OpenOffice Keeps Crashing Every Time

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
paulyjames200x

OpenOffice Keeps Crashing Every Time

Post by paulyjames200x »

I have openoffice 4.1.1. I use it for openoffice excel and for word. Everytime i open a document, whether office or word, i get the message

Openoffice document recovery

press start recovery to start the recovery process of the documents listed below

the status column shows whether the document can be recovered

document name

untitled 1 not recovered yet

I then click on start recovery and then next and my document opens each and everytime. I find this very annoying with this error but no issues almost all the time when opening the document. Can someone tell me why i'm having this issue? Is it because i have an old version of openoffice or its something else?
openoffice 4.1.1
windows 7 64 bit
RusselB

Re: Openoffice Keeps Crashing Every Time

Post by RusselB »

Your version of OpenOffice isn't that old. It's only one back of the current. Lots of people use versions even older.
After you recover the document, do you save it with File -> Save (aka Ctrl+S) or File -> Save As
If not, try that as OpenOffice might not be removing the back-up file upon recovery. Saving the file should fix this.
If this does not resolve the problem, after saving the file, reset your user profile

The usual reason for this, is a crash or incorrect shut down of OpenOffice and/or your computer. Eg: Closing the lid on your laptop before OpenOffice finishes writing data to your hard drive
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
paulyjames200x

Post by paulyjames200x »

After i recover document, i never click save because its already saved i figure. I just tried it right now and after recovery, clicked saved as... then it ask to name the document, i use same name. I close document. Open it again... same issue. I then just entered something to the document, then clicked save. Then close doc and open it. Same issue...
openoffice 4.1.1
windows 7 64 bit
roseb91

Post by roseb91 »

have openoffice 4.1.1. I use it for openoffice excel and for word. Everytime i open a document, whether office or word, i get the message

Openoffice document recovery

press start recovery to start the recovery process of the documents listed below

the status column shows whether the document can be recovered

document name

untitled 1 not recovered yet

I then click on start recovery and then next and my document opens each and everytime. I find this very annoying with this error but no issues almost all the time when opening the document. Can someone tell me why i'm having this issue? Is it because i have an old version of openoffice or its something else?
openoffice 4.1.1
windows 7 64 bit

paulyjames200x

Hi paulyjames200x,

I was having a similar problem today. A file I had copied and pasted to openoffice document and saved kept crashing OpenOffice.org. I finally remembered how to keep OpenOffice from crashing. The next time you open OpenOffice.org and the window, "Openoffice document recovery" comes up just click "Cancel" and your document should open up. And when you open up a document after that, the document should open up with out that pop-up window "Openoffice document recovery"

rosieb91
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

Unstable program . if you are not saving every 30 seconds boy are you going to be screwed
OPenOffice v4.1.2 on win10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It can sometimes happen that an installation produces a faulty user profile "out of the box", which can produce instability. The quick cure for this is to delete the OpenOffice user profile.

Details of the User Profile for various operating systems
are given in

v%20...%2074&t=12426

If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

The above fix works in the vast majority of cases.

If that does not improve OO's stability, start Windows in Safe Mode and see if that helps. If it does, then you need to investigate which program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode is interfering with OO. Anti virus programs, Skype and utilities that touch the Clipboard have all been reported as causing problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
opensezame

Re: OpenOffice Keeps Crashing Every Time

Post by opensezame »

Thanks
didn't mean to be all trollish, but the loss of one or multiple doc/ss raises demons.
Hit me like a gotcha
I have to hit SAVE with every move or get stung.

Happens on both mac and windows versions , on pastes from web pages most often.
Feature creep that makes it good for Desktop publishing , makes it hell on folks for whom Wordstar and Wordpad would do fine for most jobs
Things try to be everything to everybody, and that is a tough one. We really do need programs that keep the higher skill tiers from cluttering simple stuff.

THANKS

QUESTION
are there things to save before uninstall/reinstall?
Losing past Configuring that got rid of "Helpful" formatting features will hurt.

Thanks again
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Uninstall/reinstall does _NOT_ affect the OO user profile, a corruption of which can cause many unexplained problems. I suggest that before doing anything else you start Windows in Safe Mode and see if OO runs stable in that mode. If it does, then the problem is caused by interference from some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode. Chief suspects are a badly configured anti-virus program, a firewall, a continual backup utility or a clipboard monitoring program. There are other possible culprits.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

thanks
the day is getting better
rikard88

Post by rikard88 »

I was working on a book (with multiple tables and a few images) and put the PC to sleep (just logged off without shutting down), to finish that book tonight (yes, it was about to be finished). When I tried to re-login, strangely, Open Office asked to register and to put my initials. I skept and proceeded, then the file got crashed and since then the OO cannot open it, with a message "red error, your file is corrupted because of manipulation, some data were lost during the transaction..." so it seems that I was hacked again, and there was a trend to steal the manuscript.

I checked online Apache Open Office 4.1.3. forums for similar situations and all are saying that there is nothing could be done if the file cannot be located in temp folder (in my case it has no remnant in temp folder).

But I do see the unopened file in its full capacity (5,073 KB) and also, when I try to open it with wordpad it brings some content with weird characters (so the interior is not lost). Having that said, I still hope that the conventional MS Office (MS word) may open that file.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

rikard88 wrote:But I do see the unopened file in its full capacity (5,073 KB)
Rename your file fred.odt to fred.ZIP. Double click it. If it does not look like the image below, there is no hope for the file.
Clipboard01.png
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery. YOU MUST DO SO QUICKLY - the more you use the PC the greater the chance the file you need will be trashed.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

if i do not manually save every few minutes, there is a risk of tragic/annoying data loss
? do you have a strategy to save/constant back up?
If I am pasting and deleting originals or composing , this can be a real bummer.
ahtlantashah

Post by ahtlantashah »

opensezame wrote:Unstable program . if you are not saving every 30 seconds boy are you going to be screwed

basically. i have lost so much work to openoffice. it literally crashes 2 to 4 times an hour
open office 4.1.3 windows 8
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Do the maths. About 100,000,000 people have downloaded OpenOffice.

99,999,999 users appear to be very happy with it.

You are having problems.

Do you think it is because of the software which the other 99,999,999 users find is OK? Or do you think it is a problem with your installation, your pc, your file, and/or your way of working?

If you want to ask a question then please start a new thread. We are not interested in listening to moaning - we are only interested in trying to assist users to use the software as downloaded.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
thebeacondeacon

Post by thebeacondeacon »

You can drop that counter to 99,999,998.

I have to go through the profile rebuild procedure every month, when I attempt to open a series of calendar spreadsheets to do my billing. Calc inevitably crashes.

It seems that every iteration of OpenOffice offers improvements, but it still remains highly flawed for accomplishing even the most mundane tasks, and it is not keeping pace with the evolution of Microsoft Windows.

Best regards,
thebeacondeacon
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

thebeacondeacon wrote:I have to go through the profile rebuild procedure every month, when I attempt to open a series of calendar spreadsheets to do my billing. Calc inevitably crashes.
... which almost certainly means that there is a problem on your PC or in your spreadsheets or in the way you are using your PC - for example, do you shut down AOO properly and allow time for it to complete? or do you shutdown your PC before AOO has finished doing its tasks?

Don't blame AOO because it is (almost certainly) not AOO causing the problem - AOO is (almost certainly) the victim.

Do your own survey - look through 100 or 1,000 forum posts and see how many are problems or bugs with AOO, compared with how many are problems with user mis-understanding and/or user error. When a post mentions a bug report, in whatever manner, the moderators usually mark the subject with [Issue] so, as a first approximation, look for threads flagged [Issue]. Note they they may not actually be issues as that needs developer confirmation.

If you want assistance to find out what the problem is we need more information from you. Do two simple tests

1 Create a new, simple spreadsheet and save it. Does AOO open it without crashing? If it does, then AOO looks OK and it is probably some fault in your spreadsheet files.

2 Start your PC in SAFE MODE (Google for how). Open your series of spreadsheets. Does AOO crash?

Now open a new thread and describe what is happening, and ask a question.

We are not interested in listening to moaning - we are here to help each other use AOO effectively, not to take your complaints. We try to assist users to use the software as downloaded. Read the Forum Survival Guide

thebeacondeacon

Post by thebeacondeacon »

I sometimes rely on Windows to shutdown Open Office. So, I will see whether totally exiting Open Office first will get me past these issues.

I can appreciate your affection for Open Office. However, I think you will get a lot further by keeping your sophmoric invective to yourself. You might want to re-read that survival guide, yourself.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

thebeacondeacon wrote:I sometimes rely on Windows to shutdown Open Office.
... which, as I suggested, is a problem on your PC or in your spreadsheets or in the way you are using your PC - for example, do you shut down AOO properly and allow time for it to complete? or do you shutdown your PC before AOO has finished doing its tasks?

Did you do the two simple tests? Did you open a new thread for your problem?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.