Incorrect File Sizes

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
oociw999

Incorrect File Sizes

Post by oociw999 »

Hi to all - I'm using Windows 8 on a desktop Acer PC I had written a book (122 pages) originally using Power Point and have NO real problems when accessing it in Open Office Impress. However, because of the file size (73.1MB) I decided to break it up in smaller groups to facilitate scrolling, viewing, updating and storing. I decided to make small groups of 20 pages each, netting with 6 separate files and when I Open the large file I do a "View/File/Sorter" of all 122 pages then select a group of twenty, do a "Copy" Open a New Impress doc, do a "Paste" and "LO and Behold" the 20 sheets are copied and when I do a "Save As" for this new file it shows the file size as the original 73.1MB. When I view this new group of 20 pages it views OK but I can't get the true file size to appear when I do my file management. In fact I had ended up with the original sized at 73.1MB and three of the 20 page files also showing as being 73.1MB.

How can I get the files to reflect their true size??

Also with an administrative ?? How do I find and access my profile page so I can change my Password.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Don
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1
acknak

Re: Incorrect File Sizes

Post by acknak »

Guessing from the file size, you probably have several images in your document, right?

If so, the copy/paste may be copying image(s) that you aren't expecting.

Also, it sounds like you're working with .ppt files--is that right? If so, it may be affecting the file sizes. It's always best to work in OO's native ODF formats (.odp for presentations). You can always save a copy to another file format if necessary.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

In regards to your second query, despite the fact that you specified administrative, you can access that information by clicking the User Control Panel link located near the top on the left hand side of this page.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
oociw999

Post by oociw999 »

THANKS to Acknak and to Russell.
1st thing to Acknak the files are "odp" (when I originally did them they were "ppt") and yes there are some images as part of the file ..... BUT everything comes out OK I get the 20 pages that I selected (with the images) and the file size is reflected as 73.1MB the same size as the 122 page file. Really no harm and no foul, I just don't understand why the actual size isn't reflected.

2nd thing to Russell at first I didn't see the reference that you made .....BUT Now I do. So I'll give it a try by clicking on the Control Panel link in the Upper Left corner of this page.

THAKS GUYS!!

Don
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1