[Solved] Problem upgrading to 4.1.2

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
dickwbb

[Solved] Problem upgrading to 4.1.2

Post by dickwbb »

Version 4.1.1 would not open odt docs, so I tried uninstalling it and upgrade to 4.1.2. In the uninstall process, a pop-up appeared with the message "Exit Open Office 4.1.1 and the Open Office 4.1.1 Quick Starter before you continue . . ." The Task Master indicates that they are not open; nevertheless Open Office still appears as an application on my hard drive. I subsequently downloaded 4.1.2, and during the installation process the Installation Wizard pop-upped the message "Exit Open Office 4.1.2 and the Open Office 4.1.2 Quick Starter before you continue . . ." This was followed by another pop-up saying that the Installation Wizard was interrupted and nothing was modified. I have tried several times installing 4.1.2, but cannot get past these pop-ups, and have no idea how to exit Open Office 4.1.2 and the Quick Starter when they haven't been installed, let alone uninstalling 4.1.1.
The shortcuts on the desktop should not be an issue since they have been deleted. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by dickwbb on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 with Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Problem upgrading to 4.1.2

Post by RusselB »

Task Master? Do you mean Task Manager or are you using a 3rd party task manager called Task Master?
If you mean Task Manager, which is part of Windows, are you sure that there a no tasks that start with the name soffice? If not, then please do so, as these are the processes that OpenOffice uses.
If you are using a 3rd party task manager called Task Master, I suggest you override that program and use the Windows task manager, then follow the line above this one.

Please note that OpenOffice 3.x (which is referenced in your signature) uses a different profile location from OpenOffice 4.x
I don't know if that will make a difference or not, as it's been a while since I used 3.x
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is years since I used TaskManager, but I have a memory that it can have a checkbox to say "Display processes for all users" (words to that effect). Checking this may allow you see any hidden soffice processes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dickwbb

Post by dickwbb »

Thanks much to both of you, I found the open processes in Task Manager, and closing them fixed the 4.1.2 download problem. I still have the problem, this time with 4.1.2, of opening odt, doc and docx documents. Some will open in WordPad and not in OpenOffice, and others will not open in either. I have confirmed that Open Office is the default program for opening these documents. Any thoughts?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 with Windows 7