[Solved] Downloading OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
JTF

[Solved] Downloading OpenOffice

Post by JTF »

I am on dialup and it would take many any hours to download the 250 MB file, is it possible to only download the word processing application of the suite only as this is all I need to use? Thanks for any info.
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Downloading Open Office

Post by Phil »

Hi,

you can install the individual components, but you need to download the whole install package.
To offer separate downloads would be pretty complicated due to the structure of the software.

But why 250 MB? You can use the file without the Java Runtime Environment, this should be 107 MB for Windows and 138 MB for Linux.
OK, I admit that 100 MB is still a lot on a dialup. Maybe some friend can help you, or you go to some internet cafe?

Good luck,
phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
JTF

Post by JTF »

Thanks for the post back.
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

No you can't just download Writer, since the product is bundled and all of the components use the same EXE. However, as Phil says there aer bits that you can omit. However, if I were you and stuck on dial-up, then you have three options:
  • First ask a favour of a friend who is on Broadband. The kit will easily fit on a USB stick, so someone might be willing to download it for you.
  • Many PC mags that come with a DVD of S/W will include the current version of OOo as well as many other packages.
  • Lastly if yo do need to download large kits over dialup then you should move to more robust download manger which will recover from session loss, such as using the BitTorrent P2P protocol.
:-)
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

TerryE wrote:Many PC mags that come with a DVD of S/W will include the current version of OOo as well as many other packages.
See that special thread OpenOffice on Computer Magazines.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JTF

Post by JTF »

Great info, thankyou.
JTF

Post by JTF »

Well I went to my local book store and they had one copy of the Open Office Magazine with the latest ver. of OO, bought the mag for $20 and its up and running. Much cheaper that the $159.99 for MS Office Student Edition, thanks for all the help folks and the tip with the magazine.