Documents won't open

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
PhxWrites

Documents won't open

Post by PhxWrites »

HELP! I recently had to purchase a new computer because my old one died. I created my documents with Open Office 3, but put Open Office 4 on my new computer. I managed to get my documents out of the cloud, but when I go to open them, nothing happens. They're THERE, or seem to be, but when I click on them to open them I get nothing. What am I doing wrong? So, I thought maybe I'd uninstall OO4, and put OO3 on, but my computer says it can't uninstall it because the program is open, when the program isn't open. Can anyone help? Oh, the old system was Windows 7, and my new computer came with Windows 10.
Phoenix Hocking Open Office version 4, windows 10
FJCC

Re: Documents won't open

Post by FJCC »

You may have a hung OpenOffice process. I assume you have no OpenOffice documents open. Open the Task Manager (CTRL + Shift + Esc on Windows 7). On the Processes tab click the Image Name header so that column is displayed in alphabetical order. Select any processes called soffice.bin and click End Process. You will get a warning that you can ignore. You should then be able to restart OpenOffice and open your documents.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Re: Documents won't open

Post by RoryOF »

Also, just as a test: /File /New /Text document. Type DT, press F3. You should get a Paragraph of text. Can you Save this locally, and then reopen it? Is it OK?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS