[Solved] Spell check on OOWriter not working

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
LaneyLove

[Solved] Spell check on OOWriter not working

Post by LaneyLove »

All of the words in all of my documents in writer are marked that they are spelled wrong. This has happened within the past week, and I can't think of anything that I changed on my computer or in OO that would have changed it. I tried repairing the files and then deleted them and installed the newest update (4.1.1). I have searched for an answer, and either advice given in other posts have not fixed the problem or I couldn't follow the tutorials that were posted.
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Windows 8.1, Open Office 4.1.1
RoryOF

Re: Spell check on OOWriter not working

Post by RoryOF »

Delete or rename your OpenOffice user profile. As you are using Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Delete or Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LaneyLove

Post by LaneyLove »

My computer says that there are no items that match that search.
Windows 8.1, Open Office 4.1.1
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The actual location on my Windows 7 systems is
C:\Users\fjcc\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4

The AppData folder is hidden. Can you set your system to show hidden folders and then navigate to the equivalent location on your system?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

LaneyLove wrote:My computer says that there are no items that match that search.
Don't use Search. %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 is a file system address. Enter the address in the address bar which is to the left of the Search box. If you use the Address Bar, you won't need to turn on The "Hidden items" option.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bigdog696969

Post by Bigdog696969 »

I had the same problem - is this an issue with 4.1.1.
The fix you posted worked perfectly. thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows
Johnboy214

Post by Johnboy214 »

I too had been suffering with this issue, I'm now glad I decided to search for an answer. I found it easier to copy the link into Start>Run and it found the folder. Deleting the folder solved the problem.
Thank you
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows XP
Bigdog696969

Re: [Solved] Spell check on OOWriter not working

Post by Bigdog696969 »

Sorted. Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows
csiemon

Post by csiemon »

Hello,
I was using 4.0.1. I had a national version, Greek and both English and Greek dictionaries worked, depending on the text language.
At some point Spell Check would show all words as wrong, no matter what the language selection.
I decided to upgrade to 4.1.2, thinking maybe this would be corrected with the upgrade files.

Same problem persists. I renamed the user profile files in Appdata.
When OO starts it asks for me for profile information (name, etc) as if I am using OO for the first time.
But with Writer open Spell Check has no dictionaries at all and Spell Check shows everything right...

This solution does not work for me.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 x 32bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If the Extension manager shows no dictionaries installed, then you need to install the dictionaries.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Let's get one language working first. In /Tools /Options /Language Settings /Languages Is the "Default language for Western documents" set to "Default - English (UK)" (or whatever variety of English you use)?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
csiemon

Post by csiemon »

Bill wrote:If the Extension manager shows no dictionaries installed, then you need to install the dictionaries.
Thanks,
Indeed there are no dictionaries installed.
How do I install them? this has changed since OO v.3
csiemon

Post by csiemon »

Ok I have found the proper dictionaries, in OO v.4 in .oxt addon format (not .dic as older versions!), for English and Greek.
Greek was a little harder to find, so here is a link to the greek addon.

I have made new installations in other machines whereby from the greek OO site everything installs fine, including greek and english dictionaries.
This must have happened when migrating the already corrupt settings of this machine from earlier v.4.0.1 . (I started off with all greek words red-lined as if to be corrected...)

Needless to say the method of copying the user profile files did not work for me, not for the dictionaries. (though toolbars, prototypes etc. migrated successfully)