The ASCII filter makes no sense...as always

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Kingzahnisawesome

The ASCII filter makes no sense...as always

Post by Kingzahnisawesome »

Hi everyone. I know a lot of these types of topics have been asked by probably hundreds of people. But one thing that totally bugs me about it is that the fact that it gives you "options" it makes us think we can actually fix it when we really can't :'(. I love to type up my own stories and I've lost many of my favorite ones (and many of their copies) and have always gotten the dreaded filter "options", options to what exactly? Don't get me wrong, I totally love OpenOffice and love using it. But the one reason I wish I stayed with Microsoft Word is because of all the years I used it, I never lost even one of those stories because of "corruption".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if we can't fix the "#" problem, why give us "options"?
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Dell
RusselB

Re: The ASCII filter makes no sense...as always

Post by RusselB »

The ASCII filter (aka Text Import Filter) can't tell the difference between a document that is corrupted and a document that is in a format that can be read, but needs translation for Open Office to display it correctly.
If you wish to go back to MS Word, due to the fact that you find it more stable, them by all means, do so.
I, for one, have a copy of MS Office installed on the same system that I have Open Office installed on. I have noticed no difficulties switching back and forth between the two programs, though my preference is to use Open Office.

Some corrupted files can be, at least partially, restored, but it requires editing the content.xml file that is included in the compressed file that you actually open when you open your document.
The main reason for a file being corrupted is due to removal of the media device (ie: flash drive) or powering down the computer (usually a laptop) before the file(s) have been completely written.
While you see a single file, in fact that file is a compressed file, which contains several other files that contain other information about your document. It is the fact that there are several files having to be written to the media device that the time required is longer than would be required for a single file,

If you have any Open Office files that are not corrupted, make a copy of the file, then rename the copy changing the extension to .zip
You can then open the .zip file and you'll see several files inside it. These are the files (or similar) that Open Office writes each and every time you save a file in Open Office.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mgroenescheij
Volunteer

Post by mgroenescheij »

I totally agree, the only option you have is before the file get corrupt, that is set the option for auto recovery and the frequency of your backups.
All you can lose is your work from your last backup.
More important is how can you prevent file corruption:
1 - don't shut down your PC with files open
2 - use a UPC in case you have power outages
AOO 4.1.5 on MS Windows 10 Professional & MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Losing files while working in OO is absolutely NOT normal. I've used OO daily for ten years and never lost a document--I've lost work a few times but never enough to be a problem because I protect my work.

If you're losing files, then something is wrong: either with your system, or with something you're doing (or not doing).

If you want to argue that you never had a problem before you started using OO, I would agree: OO does seem to be more susceptible to losing files in some situations, where maybe MS Office is not.

The most common factor in these cases seems to be using removable media. Are you regularly using something like a USB stick or SD card?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As a heavy user of the OpenOffice program since StarOffice 7, I agree with Acknak concerning its stability. My suggestion, in addition to his on removable media, is that you should be leisurely in your shut down of OpenOffice and then your computer.

The OpenOffice file format is complex and takes a little longer to generate and write to disk than simpler formats. So you should close your OpenOffice file and OpenOffice, tidy your papers and pens, then formally shut down your computer - don't just save the OO file and snap off the power button or close the laptop lid. Taking the few extra seconds to do things in this way will take a lot less time than having to recreate or repair a damaged file.

What is the reason to do this? Modern operating systems and hardware do tricks to speed up interaction with users. One such trick is to buffer writes to hard disks: the OS gathers the data to be written in a temporary storage ("Write buffer") and then writes it to disk when the drive is ready to take it, rather than delay the program until the disk is ready. Then the disk, because of the large size of storage sorts the data ("internal buffers") and writes it out with one movement of the heads across the internals of the drive. These buffering operations are normally transparent to you, the user, but if the power fails or is switched off before they are completed, the data is lost. This is perhaps similar to one getting knocked unconscious from a bang on the head. The last data (the few minutes before the bang on the head) is often lost, as it has not yet been "written" into the storage of the brain.

So my advice is to slightly change your method in closing down OpenOffice and your computer. The few extra seconds taken will be much less than the time taken to rebuild a damaged file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Kingzahnisawesome

I don't usually just "leisurely" turn off the computer and yes I do use USB's. And my Dad basically just cleaned my computer of a lot of "questionable" pop-ups, etc. but some of these stories became "corrupt" after that. So...?
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Dell
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Who can say what was infected on your computer and what was affected or damaged by the process of removal? It is _your_ responsibility to keep your computer clean and virus free - after all, _you_ are the user.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Kingzahnisawesome wrote:... and yes I do use USB's. ...
You haven't said if your damaged files were on a USB stick, but there are some things to keep in mind when using USB storage--especially with OO:

Always take extra steps to safely eject the USB before you remove it.

Avoid working with documents directly on the USB. Copy the files to the hard drive (if possible) before opening them.

The low price of USB storage is wonderful but it also means that manufacturers are under a lot of pressure to cut costs. USB storage can and does fail. It's safest to use it as a transfer medium. Keep a backup copy on the hard drive (or cloud storage) so that if the USB fails or gets lost, you still have a good copy.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Kingzahnisawesome

This is for RoryOF, its not my fault if people feel like hacking other people's computers for fun! Also I have no idea how to delete most of the viruses, etc.
(my computer has never been too bad...x knocks on wood x) my dad does.
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Dell
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is your responsibility to keep your computer clear of viruses - make no mistake about that. If you don't learn elementary computer security you will, sooner or later, be faced with catastrophic loss of some important work.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Ask your Dad to install anti-malware/spyware apps as well as anti-virus.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

Another potential problem with USB sticks is the connector on the PC side.
With daily usage, you don't always plug and unplug the stick correctly, but bend slightly when plugging. Or you may hit by accident a plugged stick. After years, the connector of the PC may be responsible of intermittent bad connections. And kids sometimes get the old laptop of dad...
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1