Portable: cannot install to c:\program files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
pnadon

Portable: cannot install to c:\program files

Post by pnadon »

I install OpenOffice Portable to c:\program files (Windows 7). OpenOffice Portable v3 wasn't a problem. But when I put OpenOffice Portable v4.1.1 in c:\program files\OpenOfficePortable I get the following:

Title: "Apache OpenOffice Portable (PortableApps.com Launcher")
Message: "Apache OpenOffice Portable cannot be run from inside C:\Program Files. This location is for standard local software only. Please use this application from another location."

Is there a "bypass" or work around to get past this?

Thanks
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Portable: cannot install to c:\program files

Post by Villeroy »

Install the regular version from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html to C:\Program Files
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Portable: cannot install to c:\program files

Post by Bill »

This is not an OpenOffice issue. The message is from PortableApps which blocks installing and running portable programs in C:\Program Files because of issues with UAC. I always added a C:\PortableApps directory in Vista and Windows 8 and installed portable programs there. See these PortableApps forum threads for discussions about why portable apps shouldn't be in Program Files.

Restrictions on where LibreOffice Portable can be installed.

RBTray Portable cannot run from "C:\Program Files" folder!?

[Closed] Can't install Chrome on local hard drive, falsely complains about read-only rights: why?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04