Saved File Replaced with Pound symbol

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Saved File Replaced with Pound symbol

Postby Jenna97 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:46 am

I was working on a essay-was almost done with it actually-when I saved it,since it was getting late.I closed the file immediately after saving and shut down my computer after making sure it saved properly(I opened it,read through it,and then closed it).

I opened it after school today(Its not a school project.) and,well,its basically the "#" symbol repeated over and over.I'm not sure whats going on-it opens into a file called "Untitled 1",which is not the file name.The closest I could find was this.I do not understand the instructions and I think this might be a different problem-the person who posted said that his computer crashed.Mine didn't.Shutdown went like normal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Open Office 4.1.1 on HP with windows 8
Jenna97

Re: Saved File Replaced with Pound symbol

Postby thomasjk » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:37 am

If you are seeing all ############# then your file is corrupted beyond recovery. Hopefully you have a backup copy. Check the user profile https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 74&t=12426 for your file with a .bak extension.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Saved File Replaced with Pound symbol

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:50 pm

You can also check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

See also: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Good luck!
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting