Tens of minutes of Recovery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
pterandon

Tens of minutes of Recovery

Post by pterandon »

Hi. I had a good run with OpenOffice, where I created a complex Calc spreadsheet with multiple sheets and under 5MB. Then I had a problem with bad allocation when I undid the deletion of a row with a number of complex calculations in it.

Now, everytime that I load OpenOffice, it goes through endlses (about an hour and running on latest attempt) Document Recovery. I suspect that this is related to the concept of Document locking, as the list of files perpetually showing up in this recovery loop were those with lock files. I eventually had to reboot, and upon seeing the system locked up again, I went and deleted the lock files. Still didn't get me out of this problem.

Ironically, I also tried to access a document I Googled, where OpenOffice explains the concept of Document Locking, but I was unable to open it. It was locked behind the ODT format, which doesn't open on this box, due to the problem above.

The files are not enitrely lost, as I was able to open with MIcrosoft Excel.

Any way to turn off document locking?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Tens of minutes of Recovery

Post by RusselB »

While there's no way I'm aware of to turn off document locking, it's there to prevent the possibility of multiple people trying to edit the same document simultaneously.
I know this isn't necessary if you are on a stand alone system, but the code is part of AOO. I suppose, technically, if you had the skill, you could locate and remove that part of the AOO code, as the code is Open Source.
In my experience, after deleting the lock files, clicking Cancel when the recovery dialog comes up resolves the problem of the files trying to recover.

It is, also, my experience that large and/or complicated spreadsheets do not open or recover quickly.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If it continues to stall, you can reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
pterandon

Post by pterandon »

Okay, thanks for the advice so far. :super: So far I've narrowed down what causes the crashes.

My complicated formula is below. I have been making several edits by means of inserting rows. OpenOffice is very adept at handling the insertions-- say if I insert a new row at 1427 (between the 1426 & 1444), it goes very well. However, when I either attempt to "undo" the insertion, or delete a row, OpenOffice tends to lock up with a bad allocation.

=INDEX($A$1426:$A$1444;MATCH(MAX(H1426:H1444);H1426:H1444;0))

If it helps, the purpose of this formula is to tell me, for column H, which row has the highest score corresponding to that row's column A.

I've also found that a practice of making a save after any small change works well to prevent other crashes. I fully appreciate my project might be stressing the system, so knowing of a way to keep it happy is good.
RusselB wrote:While there's no way I'm aware of to turn off document locking, it's there to prevent the possibility of multiple people trying to edit the same document simultaneously.
That's very "Clippy", wouldn't you say? :knock:
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

An alternative to your formula might be

Code: Select all

=indirect(address(match(max(h1426:h1444);h1426:h1444;0);1;4;1;"<sheet_name>");1)
You'll have to replace <sheet_name> with the actual name of the sheet that the formula is being used in.
I have no idea if your current code is better than my alternative or not, but you're the best one to test and see if there's a noticable difference.
As to deleting a row, as long as the row is inside the range specified, and not the first or last rows specified in the range, OO should handle it just as well as the insertion.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.