[Solved] Can't download OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
hellbraker

[Solved] Can't download OpenOffice

Post by hellbraker »

Hi, can anyone please upload the latest version of OpenOffice to Google Drive. My ".exe" download is blocked so can't from Sourceforge. So I would be grateful if someone uploads it changing the extension to ".zip" .

Thanks
Last edited by hellbraker on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Can't download OpenOffice

Post by RusselB »

Use a different browser. The source files are hosted on the SourceForge servers.
I have no problems using Google Chrome to access the files.
On a sidenote, I don't know if you can use Google Drive for the installation of OpenOffice. It can be used as your default open/save file location for your documents.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
hellbraker

Post by hellbraker »

Sorry but anything with an .exe gets blocked while downloading. It's the network policy being implemented by our administrator.
I don't know what should be done with source files though.
What I meant with Google Drive is for someone here to upload the setup file "Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe" changing the extension to "Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_Win_x86_install_en-US.zip"

Then I can download it with ease as a zip file is not blocked for downloading.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

This is a policy put into place by your administrator. Why that policy is in place is something that should be discussed with the administrator.
Personally, I won't assist with any methods that try to avoid and/or evade any policy or policies an administrator has put into effect.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Ask your system administrator to undertake the download and make the file available to you. I agree with RusselB that one should not attempt to circumvent your administrator's security policies.

[RoryOF, Moderator]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hellbraker

Post by hellbraker »

I understand what you mean. The policy is there to not break the system. :D Thank you for your replies.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can download it at home and then put it on a USB key. If your admin has done its job, you may be prevented to install it.
In such case, you can use the portable version of AOO.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Hagar Delest wrote: In such case, you can use the portable version of AOO.
This depends on how good (determined? paranoid??) your admin is. Our local university blocks all .exe files from running as does our local libraries.

This is a real annoyance if you are using the Uni library computers and cannot get Firefox to run. I had to use Internet Explorer last week :cry:
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

jrkrideau wrote:This depends on how good (determined? paranoid??) your admin is.
+1.
jrkrideau wrote:Our local university blocks all .exe files from running as does our local libraries.
Wow, that's really hard. At least I can use the portable version at work (I've also tried to copy and paste the installed version from another machine with the same OS and it works).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Oops I meant to say all publicly available computers. When I was doing an assignment there I had all sorts of non-standard items installed to make the job easier but it was a research centre computer in a relatively secure building.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
hellbraker

Post by hellbraker »

Thanks to danste2000 from this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74964

He uploaded OO to Google Drive. No more SourceForge :)