[Solved] Dictionary in English will not Install

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Smollettri

[Solved] Dictionary in English will not Install

Post by Smollettri »

I am having trouble installing the dict-en. It keeps saying some pathway does not exist. When I tried tracing the pathway, I ended up in a win systems folder. The pathway it is looking for is something like appdata/roaming/openoffice/4//user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/sv2h2ce.tmp_/dict-en.oxt but it will not install even if I manually place it in that folder. Right now I am operating without a dictionary and I need my dictionary. HELP!!!
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Smollettri
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 7 and 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Dictionary in English will not Install

Post by RoryOF »

How are you installing it? Normally you only need to double click on Dict-en.oxt; it will then startup OpenOffice and install the dictionary correctly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Smollettri

Post by Smollettri »

That's what I am doing. I am double-clicking it and it opens OpenOffice, and as it gets to the screen with the extensions manager, that's where I get the error message.
Smollettri
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 7 and 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Language Settings /Languages have you selected your User Interface language and default language for documents?
And in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Language Settings /Writing Aids have you checked Hunspell Soellchecker?
Smollettri

Post by Smollettri »

yes, I have. And it does not recognize this as a spell checker. Every word I type, even the word "the" is underlined as misspelled. There is no dictionary whatsoever. Nothing is registering. I have never encountered this problem before. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling OpenOffice several times but to no avail. I have tried running virus scans to see if maybe it got a virus. Everything else seems to be working fine, except that one item. I cannot figure out what happened. It was working fine before. All of a sudden, the dictionary just disappeared.
Smollettri
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 7 and 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The normal cure for spellcheck problems, a cure which fixes most spellcheck problems, is to delete or rename the OpenOffice User Profile. Details are given in
[Tutorial] The OOo user profile
Smollettri

Post by Smollettri »

I read that tutorial. I actually tried that, but it didn't work. The dictionary is just not registering as a valid extension. And I installed the spell check dictionary as well and that does not work either. None of my extensions are working.
Smollettri
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 7 and 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If none of your extensions are working this explains why dictionary is not working. Have you Administrator rights on your computer?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

When you say non of your extensions, have you installed them again? If you reset the profile, only the default dictionaries should be installed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

You may want to uninstall using Revo Free Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html with its most aggressive settings. Then re-install.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Smollettri

Post by Smollettri »

I don't understand what revo free uninstaller is. I have only two extensions installed. Neither works. Yes, I have administrator rights on my computer. The problem is, the dictionary was there at first, then all of a sudden it was gone, like it was completely erased. And I have no clue how this happened. I am using a fairly new Windows 8.1 Laptop, and this is the first problem I have encountered with it. I did not uninstall OpenOffice for this to happen. One day I just went to type a document and noticed the all the words were being underlined, as if they were all misspelled, even little words like the word "The". I have no idea what went wrong. I then tried downloading and installing the spell-check dictionary to see if that would help matters, but that was not even recognized as being in the system. It is actually IN the extensions, was downloaded INTO the extensions, but in no way does it show up in OpenOffice as being recognizable as a dictionary. The spell-checker dictionary Hunspell is checked and everything that is supposed to be checked is checked, but there is NO dictionary. I am unsure what to do.
Smollettri
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 7 and 8.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If all words are being underlined, then the user profile is corrupt. The user profile is where configuration files reside and where extensions are installed. If you download the dictionary file which is intended to upgrade the installed dictionary and an error message complaining about missing files appears when trying to install the dictionary, that's a result of user profile corruption. If other extensions don't work, that's user profile corruption. Resetting the user profile causes AOO to create a new user profile which also installs the default dictionary in the user profile. Other extensions must be reinstalled. You need to reset your user profile to remove the corruption.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Smollettri

Post by Smollettri »

How do you do this?
Smollettri
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 7 and 8.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Close AOO. Open Windows Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the Windows Explorer Address bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder to userold. Restart AOO.
Smollettri

Re: Dictionary in English will not Install [Solved!!!]

Post by Smollettri »

Thank you!!!! IT WORKED!!!! I really appreciate it! I will remember that next time. I hope that never happens again. Whew! My dictionaries are restored! I appreciate you all helping me out. Thank you again!
Smollettri
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 7 and 8.1
jaganxx

Re: [Solved] Dictionary in English will not Install

Post by jaganxx »

I have the same problem.. tried everything no luck. it was working 5 days ago.. a doc file crashed I was cutting and pasting from an old doc.

Re installed open office 4., 4.1. 4.11 same problem every word is red lined.
dict-en.oxt gives me "boing" sound when double clicked says it cannot be found
en_us.oxt says it is already installed
tried installing with admin option... No luck
opened writer.. language settings...bar... no dic present... paragraph edit also do not show any dictionary.

This dictionary problem existed 5 weeks ago.. then I fixed it using suggestions from the OO forum that "user folder need to be reset"
all done .. Now I cannot find that user folder anywhere but the writer tools bar shows the new user..so that is not it either

I am in the middle of a proposal... yes I do have MS office and thats i show I survive.. but I need the draw feature to work the whole thing.
BTW a tiny lap top with windows 8.1 has it working

HELP.. HELP.. HELP.... jaganxx@yahoo.com
Apache open office v 4.1.1 on windows 7 Home premium
jaganxx

Post by jaganxx »

Thanks Thanks and Thanks.. after 2 days or frustration it did work... went to the writer file and checked.. the new user file shows up.. so IT IS THE FIX
I could not find a address bar in windows explorer... I guessed.. The search bar right?. oh well it works
Apache open office v 4.1.1 on windows 7 Home premium
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jaganxx wrote:I could not find a address bar in windows explorer... I guessed.. The search bar right?
There's no need to guess. Just Google "Windows 7 Address Bar". It's not the Search Box.